Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide (EMD) Market by Type (Alkaline Battery Grade EMD, Zinc Manganese and Zinc-Carbon Battery Grade EMD, Lithium-Ion Battery Grade EMD, Primary Lithium Manganese Battery Grade, Other Grade EMD), By Application (Primary Battery, Secondary Battery, Others)
The global demand for electrolytic manganese dioxide (EMD) is on the rise due to the increasing use of rechargeable and secondary batteries. This blog article will explore the types of EMD available, their applications, and how they are driving the market growth. We also take a look at the key players in the industry and their strategies for success.
The drivers of the Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market are:
There are many driver in the market of the Electrolytic Manganese dioxide some of them are as follows:
1. Rising Demand from Battery Manufacturing Industry: The demand for electrolytic manganese dioxide is increasing significantly in the battery manufacturing industry due to its ability to enhance the performance and life of batteries. Manganese dioxide is used as an additive in several types of batteries such as lithium-ion, alkaline, lead-acid and nickel-cadmium batteries.
2. Increased Adoption of Rechargeable Batteries: The rising adoption of rechargeable batteries among consumers as a result of technological advancements has further increased the demand for electrolytic manganese dioxide in the market. Rechargeable batteries require large amounts of manganese dioxide and other additives to ensure their efficient functioning.
3. Increasing Automotive Production: With increasing global production of automobiles, there is an increase in demand for automotive components such as automotive batteries that use electrolytic manganese dioxide. This factor has also contributed significantly towards market growth.
4. Rapid Urbanization: The rapid pace of urbanization across the globe has led to a greater demand for consumer electronic products, which are major users of electrolytic manganese dioxide. This is expected to continue driving the market in the coming years.
Advantage of the Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market are:
There are many advantages of the Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market some of them are:
1. EMD is more cost effective than other manganese compounds, which makes it a great choice for industrial applications.
2. EMD contains higher levels of manganese than other forms of the metal, giving products made with it superior strength and durability.
3. It has a low solubility rate in water, making it an ideal choice for battery production and other wet chemical processes.
4. It has a longer life span than other forms of manganese and can be used repeatedly in various applications without losing its efficiency or effectiveness.
5. It can be used as a catalyst in many industrial processes to produce desired results faster and more efficiently.
Market size and value of Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market:
The global Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.90% over the forecast period, reaching a market size of USD 1.64 Billion by 2032.
The increasing demand for rechargeable batteries and alkaline batteries is driving the growth of the electrolytic manganese dioxide market. Additionally, rising penetration of electronic products such as mobile phones and laptops are supporting the growth of this market. Moreover, increased focus on energy storage solutions is further propelling the market growth of electrolytic manganese dioxide.
However, environmental concerns related to production processes and stringent regulations imposed by governments are restraining the growth of this market to some extent.
Challenges faced by Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market/Restraining factors of the Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market:
Some restraining factors of the Electrolytic Manganese dioxide market are:
1. High Costs: The costs associated with production and transportation of electrolytic manganese dioxide can be high, making it a more expensive option than other forms of manganese dioxide.
2. Regulatory Framework: There are stringent environmental regulations in place for the production and use of electrolytic manganese dioxide that could limit the growth of the market.
3. Supply Availability Issues: The availability of electrolytic manganese dioxide can be limited due to supply constraints. This is due to the fact that the raw material used for its production is sourced from a few countries, mainly China and India.
4. Substitution by Alkaline Batteries: Alkaline batteries have gained popularity over lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries in recent years due to their ability to store large amounts of energy at low cost, which has resulted in substitution of electrolytic manganese dioxide by alkaline batteries in some applications.
Key Market players of the Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market are:
some key players/Manufacturers/Vendors of the Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market are :
•AMG Advanced Metallurgical Group N.V. (Netherlands)
• Lonza Group Ltd. (Switzerland)
• Sichuan Lomon Titanium Industry Co., Ltd. (China)
• Solvay SA (Belgium)
• MMC Norilsk Nickel PJSC (Russia)
• Toho Tenax Co. Ltd. (Japan)
• Kronos Worldwide, Inc. (U.S.)
• Yunnan Metallurgical Group Co., Ltd. (China)
• Toyo Kohan Co., Ltd.(Japan)
• Ube Industries, Ltd.(Japan)
On the basis of type the Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market is segmented into :
• Manganese Dioxide Powder
• Manganese Dioxide Granular
On the basis of Application, the Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market is segmented into:
• Dry Batteries
• Water Treatment
• Plating & Coating
Manganese dioxide powder is used in dry batteries due to its good electrical properties. It helps in creating a more efficient power supply as it can act as a depolarizer and helps to reduce self-discharge. It is also used in medical applications due to its antibacterial properties. This can be useful for wound healing, treating infections, and preventing new ones from forming. The manganese dioxide powder is also used to treat water as it can absorb contaminants, making it cleaner and safer for drinking. It is also used in plating and coating processes, such as galvanizing, to provide a protective layer on the surface of metals or other materials that have been exposed to rust or corrosion.
On the basis of end user and region market of Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide is divided into North America, Europe, Asia pacific and Rest of the world.
Asia Pacific region is expected to dominate the global Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market due to increasing demand from various end users such as automotive and electronics industries in China, India and Japan. Furthermore, increasing government initiatives towards renewable energy is also driving the market growth in this region. North America is expected to witness significant growth owing to stringent regulations regarding emission control by federal agencies.
COVID 19 impact on the Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market:
COVID 19 had a great impact on the market of Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market . The demand for EMD decreased due to the imposition of global lockdowns, resulting in reduced industrial and manufacturing activities. Moreover, the lack of supply chain disruptions further hampered the production and sales of EMD. Additionally, the financial crisis faced by many industries due to the pandemic also caused a decrease in the number of orders being placed for EMD. On the other hand, some companies are trying to focus on cost cutting strategies to minimize losses and maximize profits. These strategies include reducing production costs as well as inventory levels. Moreover, some governments have also introduced several policies and incentives such as tax cuts or subsidies to encourage industries to manufacture essential products like EMDs despite economic slowdown.
Recent development in the Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide market from 2019 to 2022:
In January 2019, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency proposed a ban on the use of Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide (EMD) in certain consumer products due to its potential risk of exposure to manganese, which can cause neurological effects.
In April 2019, Tosoh Corporation and Sumitomo Corporation announced plans to form a joint venture in Japan for manufacturing EMD materials.
In May 2019, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation announced an intention to expand its EMD production capacity at its Okayama Plant by around 40%.
In July 2019, AkzoNobel launched its new range of AkzoNobel Oxypure EMD materials, which are designed to provide higher performance and lower costs than traditional EMD materials.
In October 2019, Nippon Chemical Industries Co., Ltd. announced plans to expand its production capacity for electrolytic manganese dioxide at its Mie Prefecture plant in Japan by around 20%.
In January 2020, BASF introduced its new Lutropur XM-O lithium-ion battery grade electrolyte manganese dioxide material with improved safety features and longer life span compared to standard products.
Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide (EMD) Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2030||USD 1.64 Billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 4.9 % during 2021-2030|
|Segment Covered||Type, Application, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, Middle East and Africa|
|Key Players Profiled||AMG Advanced Metallurgical Group N.V. (Netherlands), Lonza Group Ltd. (Switzerland), Sichuan Lomon Titanium Industry Co., Ltd. (China), Solvay SA (Belgium), MMC Norilsk Nickel PJSC (Russia), Toho Tenax Co. Ltd. (Japan), Kronos Worldwide, Inc. (U.S.), Yunnan Metallurgical Group Co., Ltd. (China), Toyo Kohan Co., Ltd.(Japan), Ube Industries, Ltd.(Japan)|
Key Segments of the Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide (EMD) Market
Type Overview, 2021-2031 (USD Billion)
• Alkaline Battery Grade EMD
• Zinc Manganese and Zinc-Carbon Battery Grade EMD
• Lithium-Ion Battery Grade EMD
• Primary Lithium Manganese Battery Grade
• Other Grade EMD
Application Overview, 2021-2031 (USD Billion)
• Primary Battery
• Secondary Battery
Regional Overview, 2021-2031 (USD Billion)
• Rest of Europe
• Rest of Asia Pacific
• Rest of South America
• Middle East and South Africa