The global biodegradable super absorbent polymers (SAP) market was worth USD 134.2 million in 2017 and is projected to witness significant growth with a CAGR exceeding 6% over the forecast period. An increasing number of applications of the material in agriculture and construction sectors among others is helping in driving the global biodegradable super absorbent polymers market size.
Global Biodegradable Super Absorbent Polymers (SAP) Market Size, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
Super absorbent polymers are cross-linked polyelectrolytes with a very high molecular mass that are capable of absorbing liquid which is 10 times their mass. Thus, super absorbent polymers are used for applications which require high absorption rate such as in baby diapers, adult incontinence products, and feminine hygiene products among others.
Biodegradable super absorbent polymers (SAP) is a category of super absorbent polymers which are made from natural sources such as polysaccharide and polypeptide. Growing inclination towards adopting bio-based super absorbent polymers across the globe is propelling the biodegradable super absorbent polymers market size.
Superabsorbent polymers are a class of polymeric chains that are capable of absorbing large amount of aqueous fluid, particularly body fluids such as urine or blood. They retain a large amount of aqueous fluid which can be as high as 100 times the dry weight of these polymers. Owing to these properties, superabsorbent polymers are largely used for diapers and sanitary napkins. Sodium polyacrylate and polyacrylamide copolymer are among the major polymers applied for making these products. Among biodegradable sources, absorbent polymers are mainly based on saccharides such as starch and cellulose. Owing to disposal issues of traditional superabsorbent polymers, biodegradable polymers are now getting high attention, both from manufacturers, researchers, and consumers.
Personal care and hygiene products were the largest consumers of biodegradable super absorbent polymers (SAP). Disposable diapers were the largest end-use accounting for over 65% of the global biodegradable super absorbent polymers (SAP) market share. Demand for biodegradable super absorbent polymers is largely determined by demographic factors such as birth rate and geriatric population. According to the United Nations World Fertility Patterns, the fertility rate around the world is nearly 2.5 children per woman. The fertility rate is highest in African region followed by Asia Pacific. It has been seen that the adoption for diapers has significantly increased in these regions since past few decades. The rise in disposable income, growing literacy rate, and high awareness have led to adoption for diapers and sanitary napkins.
Global Biodegradable Super Absorbent Polymer Market Share, By End Use, 2017 (%)
Although baby diapers segment is projected to maintain its dominance in the biodegradable super absorbent polymers (SAP) market share over the next seven years, adult incontinence products are also projected to witness noteworthy growth in coming years. According to the United Nations study, the global population is increasing by 1.1% per year as compared with 1.24% in the last decade. People aged 60 or above comprised 13% of the global population, rising at 3% every year. Europe has the largest percentage share of the aged population. This is one of the preliminary factors to drive the demand for adult incontinence pads.
Bladder leakage is among the most common health problem among the aged population. Adult incontinence products are specifically designed for this age group to combat these problems. These are some of the key factors to propel the demand for global biodegradable super absorbent polymers (SAP) market over the forecast period. However, biodegradable super absorbent polymers are relatively a new segment within the global super absorbent polymers (SAP) market. Therefore, awareness for this product is much lower as compared to its counterpart. These are some of the key factors positioned to hinder the global biodegradable super absorbent polymers market size over the forecast period.
Europe alone accounted for the highest consumption at 32.6% of the global biodegradable super absorbent polymers (SAP) market share in 2017. Stringent regulations regarding disposal of conventional superabsorbent polymers are projected to favor the global biodegradable super absorbent polymers market size. Asia Pacific is projected to witness significant growth in the global biodegradable super absorbent polymers (SAP) market with revenue CAGR of 7.6% over the forecast period. The growing inclination for usage of personal hygiene products on account of increasing disposable income is projected to augment the super absorbent polymers (SAP) market share. Exotech Bio Solutions Ltd., TryEco LLC, SNF s.a.s, Ma's Group Inc, JRM Chemical, Inc. are examples of some of the players in the global biodegradable super absorbent polymers (SAP) market.
Biodegradable Super Absorbent Polymers Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 216.2 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 6.2 % during 2021-2028|
|Segment Covered||Product Type ,End Use , Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Central & South America , Middle East and Africa|
|Key Players Profiled||TryEco LLC, SNF s.a.s, Exotech Bio Solutions Ltd., JRM Chemical, Inc., and Ma's Group Inc., are some of the players in the global biodegradable super absorbent polymers (SAP) market.|
Key segments of the global biodegradable super absorbent polymers (SAP) market
Product Type Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million) (Tons)
- Polyvinyl alcohol
- Polyitaconic acid
End Use Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million) (Tons)
- Disposable diapers
- Adult incontinence products
- Female Hygiene Products
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million) (Tons)
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Rest of Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the biodegradable super absorbent polymers market
- We have been studying super absorbent polymers industry from quite some time, especially the increasing demand for bio based sources used for super absorbent polymers
- Non-biodegradable nature of the traditional super absorbent polymers is becoming a key issue for safe disposal of the product
- Demographic factors such as increase in birth rate coupled with ageing population due to increased life expectancy rate is among the major factor to drive the super absorbent polymers market demand
What does the report include?
- The study on the global biodegradable super absorbent polymers market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities
- Additionally, the market has been evaluated using the value chain and Porter’s Five Forces’ analysis
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of product type, end use, region (and country).
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the biodegradable super absorbent polymers industry, who want an in-depth insight into the developments in the biodegradable super absorbent polymers market. The report will benefit:
- Biodegradable super absorbent polymers manufacturers, suppliers and independent consultants that are engaged in manufacturing or play a role in the supply chain
- Managers within financial institutions looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics pertaining to biodegradable super absorbent polymers industry
- Venture capitalist looking into investing capital in the industry
- Government organizations, regulatory bodies, policymakers and organizations looking for enhancing their policies and services pertaining to biodegradable super absorbent polymers industry
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies.