The global antimicrobial additives market size was valued at USD 8.94 billion in 2017 and is anticipated to grow in the forecast period, owing to the growing concerns amongst the consumers about foodborne pathogens such as Salmonella and E. coli, developed due to improper sanitation techniques in food and beverage facilities. Growth for antimicrobial additives market will be driven by the changes in the product formulations such as water based industrial coatings, which are more vulnerable to microbes.
Antimicrobial additives are toxic substances which can resist, inhibit and prevent the growth of microbes including bacteria and mould. The availability of products with antimicrobial additives has grown from few dozen in the 90’s to more than 2,000 in 2017. This is because, bacteria, algae and fungi have become a major public health problem in different sectors such as medical, food & packaging, construction and others. For many food & packaging companies, the inclusion of microbial additives in their product has positioned as a key differentiator in the market and have seen an increase in their revenues. Hence, this growing popularity of companies using antimicrobial additives as a differentiator in their products will have a positive influence on the antimicrobial additives market.
Based on the application the global antimicrobial additives market is bifurcated into pulp & paper, plastics, paints & coatings, and others. Among these, plastics are expected to grow with the highest growth rate not only because of its preventive action against the microbes, but also due to its aesthetic characteristics by preventing degradation of plastics. Government regulations have a major impact on the antimicrobial additives market across different regions. In most of the developed countries, the chemical components of the antimicrobial additive must be registered before they can be used. For instance, in the US, the antimicrobial additives are listed in the National Inventory of Chemical Substances called TSCA (The Toxic Substances Control Act Chemical Substance Inventory).
On the basis of end-use, the global antimicrobial additives market is segmented into healthcare, packaging, food & beverages, construction, automotive and others. In 2017, healthcare segment had the highest market revenue share within the antimicrobial additives market, owing to the growing awareness amongst the hospitals to combat hospital-acquired infections (HAIs) such as urinary tract infections, pneumonia and others. According to the report provided by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention in March 2016, an estimated one in twenty five hospital patients were infected with at least one HAI at any given time in an American hospital. This led to a significant growth in the US antimicrobial additives market.
Geographically, the antimicrobial additives market is segmented into five regions: Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America, middle-east & Africa, and North America. Asia-Pacific region dominated the antimicrobial additives market mainly due to overall development of healthcare sector in countries such as India, China, Singapore and Thailand coupled with, favorable government initiatives to develop healthcare facilities. With established markets in major consumer regions and generic products beginning to affect the market environment, specialty niches will provide a cost-effective outlet for active ingredient manufacturers.
The global antimicrobial additives market include major players such as Dow, BASF, Biocote Limited, Milliken Chemical Company, Clariant AG, Bayer Material Sciences, Ticona and Victres, Sanitized AG, A. Schulman, Inc., Polyone Corporation and others. The prices vary vastly ranging from 60% in preservation of surfaces to 400% for the medical devices when the supplier is able to support its claim by regulatory agencies such as FDA, EMA or the French ANSM. The major players in the antimicrobial additives market have always looked forward to implement eminent strategies through partnerships, agreements, collaborations and business expansions. For instance, in March 2018, Velox announced their partnership with Life Material Technologies Limited, which is manufacturer of antimicrobial additives for coatings industry in Thailand.
Key segments of the global antimicrobial additives market
Type Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million) (kilo tons)
Application Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million) (kilo tons)
- Paints & Coatings
- Pulp & Paper
End-Use Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million) (kilo tons)
- Food & Beverages
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million) (kilo tons)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle-East & Africa
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global antimicrobial additives market.
- While studying the antimicrobial additives market, we observed that the demand for its products was tremendous in developing countries.
- The market is fragmented and major players have their presence across the globe. The companies, as a strategic step are opening new manufacturing facilities to meet the domestic demand.
What does the report include?
- The study on the global antimicrobial additives market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, opportunities and value chain analysis.
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of type, application, end-use and region. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments.
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence.
Who should buy this report?
- The report on the global antimicrobial additives market is suitable for all the players across the value chain.
- Executives of any food and healthcare companies
- Venture capitalist looking into investing capital
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers and financial organizations looking for innovative solutions in the field of food technology.
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies.