The global alpha amylase market size was valued at USD 274.1 million in 2017. The usage of enzymes in producing a wide range of products such as bakery goods, detergent and animal feed is the primary driver for the growth of the overall market. Moreover, the growing demand for convenience food in the developing countries is expected to accelerate the growth of alpha-amylase market globally over the forecast period.
Furthermore, alpha-amylase provides numerous features such as dough improvement, continued softness and tremendous color texture in food processing of cake, cookies and bread. This is expected to remain a favorable factor over the forecast period. Further, escalating demand for bakery products in the developed economies such as U.S., Canada, Germany, France and the United Kingdom is the primary factor which has increased the demand for overall alpha-amylase market. In addition, new frozen food products launched by Grupo Bimbo and Kellogg Company such as Pan Tipo Artesano and Rustic Rolls respectively have accelerated the demand for enzymes in food industry and is anticipated to drive the market in the coming years.
Alpha-amylase enzymes are made up of protein, which is used for increasing the production of maltose and glucose. The enzymes find its wide application in animal feed, sugar preservative products, bakery goods, biofuels, breweries, laboratory research and detergents. Bakery makers use these enzymes to increase the yeast yield and offer excellent texture to the dough during the preparation of the final product.
Bread segment dominated the global alpha amylase market and accounted for more than 60% of overall consumption in the year 2017. Alpha-amylase is extensively used for improving the quality and enhancing of dough preparation for bread and whole grains. The product finds its usage in biscuits & cookies for hydrolyzing the gluten structure to such an extent that the dough becomes firm and brings smooth layer which reduces the contraction from the dough. Moreover, increasing demand for bread from developed countries such as the U.S. and Germany are expected to drive the global demand for the alpha-amylase. On account of providing excellent texture, alpha-amylase is also used in huge volume for the formulation of pies, cakes, donuts and pastries.
Maltogenic dominated the global alpha amylase market in 2017 due to its wide application in the baking process. This enzymes are a stimulating alternative to chemical flavors and they are used in food processing. They are generally recognized as a safe chemical as they do not remain active in the finished product. Furthermore, maltogenic alpha-amylase is also applied in the baking of bread to enable the hydrolysis of amylopectin that is crystallizable in nature, and also for preventing the issue of recrystallization (retrogradation) during its storage. This conserves the soft crumb characteristics of the baked food product thereby increasing its shelf life
In 2017, North America was the largest market, accounting for 33.5 thousand tons in the global alpha amylase market. High dominance of bread manufacturing companies including Nature’s Own and Sara Lee Corporation is expected to have a considerable impact on the enzyme industry in this region. Additionally, the launch of new frozen bread, cakes and cookies in the United States and Canada is likely to increase the adoption of the enzymes over the forecast period.
The competitive landscape of the alpha-amylase market is highly fragmented. In September 2016, Novozymes announced the acquisition of Organobalance GmbH a German-based microbial research company. The company owns a huge collection of microbial enzymes and has strong capabilities assay technology and in microbial screening. The merger has strengthened the global presence of both the companies as they both specialize in manufacturing natural microbial solutions and chemicals for their global customers and partners across a number of industries including feed, food and animal health.
The global alpha amylase market includes various global and regional players such as Biolaxi Corporation, Novozymes, Calzyme, Inc, Enmex, Danisco, BASF Enzymes LLC, DSM, Amano Enzyme Inc., AB Enzymes and Suzhou Sino Enzymes.
Alpha Amylase Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 5.33 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 7 % during 2021-2028|
|Segment Covered||Product, Application , Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Central and South America , Middle East & Africa|
|Key Players Profiled||Biolaxi Corporation, Novozymes, Calzyme, Inc., Enmex, Danisco, BASF Enzymes LLC, DSM, Amano Enzyme Inc., AB Enzymes and Suzhou Sino Enzymes.|
Key segments of the global alpha amylase market
Source Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million) (Tons)
- Other Bacteria
- Plant Based
Application Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million) (Tons)
- Cookies & Biscuits
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million) (Tons)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa
Reasons for the study
- The study assesses the dynamics and movement of the global alpha amylase market across various geographies
- While studying the global alpha amylase market, we observed that the demand for its products was tremendous in North America followed by the Asia Pacific
- The market is fragmented and major players have their presence across the globe. The companies, as a strategic step, are opening a new production facility and generating awareness to meet the global demand
What does the report include?
- The report focuses on alpha-amylase market source and its application industries
- The study on the global alpha amylase market includes qualitative factors such as value chain analysis, drivers, and restraints
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segment on the basis of alpha-amylase source and its application industries. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
- The report on the global alpha amylase market is suitable for all the players across the value chain including industries such as chemical, food & beverages and biotechnology.
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the global alpha amylase market
- Consultants, analysts, researcher, and academicians looking for insights shaping the global alpha amylase market