The Weight Loss and Weight Management Market is expected to reach during the forecast period at a 9.7% CAGR.
Obesity is a complicated condition characterised by an excess of body fat. Obesity is more than a cosmetic issue. It's a medical condition that puts you at risk for a variety of diseases and health issues, including heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and some malignancies. As a result, it is critical to effectively address and cure obesity. Lifestyle changes remain the cornerstone of treatment and are critical for long-term weight loss and management.
The global weight loss and weight management market size is valued at USD 202.1 billion in 2020. This can be ascribed to a consistently growing obese population, increasing awareness and rising demand for weight loss and weight management across demographics. Besides, increase in prevalence of cardiovascular diseases is another factor driving the market growth for weight loss and weight management.
Popularity of gym franchises, along with high spending by population from emerging economies such as Mexico, India, and others is expected to propel the regional growth by 2028. Trend of keto diet, vegan diet, low-carb diet, and intermittent fasting are gaining popularity pertaining to high penetration of online portals to catch potential customer base across various geographies. Due to plentiful availability of useful information such as diet plans, diet recipes as well as consulting services, online channel is expected to increase the adoption rate of weight loss services by 2028.
Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2028||USD 202.1 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 6.1% during 2021-2028|
|Segment Covered||Equipment, Diet, Service, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, Middle East & Africa|
|Key Players Profiled||Covidien, Nutrisystem, Inc., Herbalife Nutrition Ltd., Apollo Endosurgery, Inc., Amer Sports, WW International, Inc., Technogym S.p.A, Johnson Health Tech. Co. Ltd., Ethicon, Inc., eDiets.Com Inc., Kellogg Co., Jenny Criag, Inc. and Gold's Gym among others.|
Key Segments of the Global Weight Loss and Weight Management Market
Equipment Overview, 2019-2028 (USD Billion)
- Surgical Equipment
- Noninvasive Surgical Equipment
- Endobarrier Devices
- Intragastric Balloon Systems
- Endosuturing Devices
- Others( Fat Freezing, AspireAssist, Ultrasonic Weight Loss Treatment, and Accent XL Therapy)
- Minimal invasive
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy Equipment
- Biliopancreatic Diversion Surgery/Duodenal Switch Equipment
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Equipment
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding Systems
- Revision Surgery Equipment
- Noninvasive Surgical Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
- Strength Training Equipment
- Plate-Loaded Equipment
- Multistation Equipment
- Single-Station Equipment
- Free Weights
- Benches and Racks
- Body Composition Analyzers
- Fitness Monitoring Equipment
- Cardiovascular Training Equipment
- Elliptical Trainers
- Rowing Machines
- Stationary Cycles
- Stair Steppers
- Other Cardiovascular Training Equipment
- Strength Training Equipment
Diet Overview, 2019-2028 (USD Billion)
- Herbal Tea
- Diet Soft Drinks
- Slimming Water
- Other Low-Calorie Beverages
- Low-Calorie Sweeteners
- Organic Food
- Meal Replacements
- Low-Calorie Food
- Fiber Supplements
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
- Protein Supplements
- Green Tea Extract
Service Overview, 2019-2028 (USD Billion)
- Slimming Centers and Commercial Weight Loss Centers
- Online Weight Loss Programs
- Fitness Centers and Health Clubs
- Consulting Services
Regional Overview, 2019-2028 (USD Billion)
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Rest of South America
Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global weight loss and weight management industry
- To evaluate the impact of increased demand for weight loss and weight management. Major companies are therefore striving to offer innovative solutions coupled with the latest advancements to address the increasing demand.
- To understand the cause for increasing popularity of weight loss and weight management in the society
- To understand the surging investments by key players in the weight loss and weight management market
What does the report include?
- The study on the global weight loss and weight management market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities
- The study covers a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented based on equipment, diet, and service. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments.
- The study covers the competitive landscape of existing/prospective players in the weight loss and weight management industry and their strategic initiatives for product development.
Who should buy this report?
- This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the global weight loss and weight management market
- The report will benefit executives of the weight loss and weight management manufacturers, resellers and distributors
- Managers within the weight loss and weight management industry looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics about the global weight loss and weight management market
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers, and organizations looking for investments in trends of the global weight loss and weight management market
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and government institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Obesity is classified as a worldwide epidemic and has reached widespread proportions globally, accounting for over 1 billion overweight and approximately 300 million of them are clinically obese. Chronic disease and disability are the major factors contributing to the obesity burden across geographies. Growing epidemic rates reveal the intense changes in society & behavioral patterns of communities over the recent decades. Thus societal changes & global nutrition transition are driving the obesity patterns. Modernization, economic growth, urbanization & globalization of food markets are just a few factors thought to underlie the epidemic.
With the rise in income levels, the population becomes more urban; diets comprising of complex carbohydrates give way to varied diets with high amount of sugars and fats. At the same time, large shift of population opting for less physically demanding work have been observed around various economies. In Asia Pacific, the obesity level lies in the range of 5%-6% in China, Japan along with few African countries, to over 70% obese in the urban regions of Samoa. Even in countries with relatively low mark on the global front such as China, the obesity rates are almost over 20% in certain areas.
Obesity is a growing problem across the globe and more specifically in the United States. It is estimated that annually approximately 200,000 people opt for bariatric surgery in order to lose weight. There also has been a great improvement in the field of bariatric and metabolic surgery as compared to the last decade and significant evolution is expected in coming years. Greater clinical research and advancement in technology have not only made weight loss surgery safer but also overwhelmingly better as compared to other solutions. Gastric bypass and LSG are the most widely used weight loss procedures across the globe. The two of them account for over 70% of all types of bariatric surgical procedures. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy has been around for over 14 years. It is a surgery that alters the capacity of the stomach by removing around 75% of its reservoir and leaving the rest of the anatomy intact.
Based on equipment, the global weight loss and weight management market is primarily segmented into surgical equipment and fitness equipment. The weight loss and weight management market is dominated by the surgical equipment making up for a market share of over 90% in 2020. Surgical procedures are often performed on highly obese people whereas fitness equipment are used for maintaining weight. Considering the economic parameters, bariatric surgeries have high cost compared to gym services, hence surgical equipment contribute to majority of market share.
The rapid growth in prevalence of type 2 diabetes & obesity has led to global threat to healthcare, and is a major cause of mortality and morbidity. Bariatric surgery has revolutionized the treatment of both these conditions but is invasive & associated with an increased risk of complications. The endobarrier devices are used in the treatment of obesity which is a thin plastic sleeve lining the first 60 cm of the small intestine and thus prevents food from digesting in the upper part of the small intestine. Generally, the procedure takes about an hour while patient is under anesthesia.
However, fitness equipment is expected to grow with the highest CAGR over the forecast period. Benefits offered by fitness equipment are assisting to improve the lifestyle and lifespan by serving the individuals to maintain ideal body weight and improve health. Owing to the benefits offered, adoption of these types of equipment have surged exponentially driving the growth of the global weight loss and weight management market.
On the basis of service, fitness centers and health clubs contributed the maximum revenue of over 157 million in 2020. Increase in obese population, changing lifestyle and increasing penetration of international fitness brands across numerous geographies are contributing to the growth of the segment. Fitness centers and health clubs offer many facilities such as strength, cardio, and other training types to its members at one single stop. This feature has assisted in increased gym membership witnessed all over the world. Many new players are entering the fitness centers and health clubs market with franchise and chain establishments and thus will further drive the market in the coming years.
Europe is dominating the weight loss and weight management market with more than 39.0% in 2020. Increasing adoption of fitness workouts and corporate wellness programs is contributing to the growth of the weight loss and weight management industry across the Europe. Furthermore, support from government authorities has resulted in an increase in the number of fitness centers as well as specialty clinics for bariatric surgeries within the region.
Many organizations in Germany are promoting healthy life style through sports. As a result of which, a large number of individuals are engaging in activities such as signing up for workout programs & memberships, health-clubs or just working out at home. This is driving the growth of the weight loss and weight management market in Germany.
The U.K. is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period. Increasing obese population would be the key growth propellant of the weight loss and weight management market in country. Furthermore, increasing number of gyms & health clubs and various corporate health programs are boosting the growth of the market.