With the proliferation of technology, the demand for higher performance components has been rising. To meet these demands, manufacturers have turned to vertical probe cards as a cost-effective solution.
Drivers of the Vertical Probe Cards Market
1. Growing demand for miniaturized electronic components: Miniaturization is becoming increasingly important in the electronics industry, as it allows for greater integration of components into smaller form factors. This has led to an increasing demand for vertical probe cards, which are used to test and measure such components.
2. Growing need for high-precision testing systems: As the performance of electronic components becomes increasingly complex, the need for highly accurate testing systems increases as well. Vertical probe cards provide higher precision and accuracy than their horizontal counterparts, making them essential for many applications.
3. Increased adoption of advanced technologies: The emergence of advanced technologies such as 5G and Internet of Things (IoT) has increased demand for vertical probe cards in order to ensure that these technologies are tested effectively before being deployed in the market.
4. Development of new materials and fabrication processes: The development of new materials and fabrication processes have also enabled manufacturers to produce probe cards with improved specifications, making them more attractive to end-users.
Advantages of the Vertical Probe Cards Market
1. Enhanced Performance: Vertical Probe Cards offer much higher performance than traditional horizontal probe cards. They are designed to provide a larger number of probe contacts, lower insertion loss and improved signal integrity with higher bandwidths. This results in higher quality data acquisition, which can improve the accuracy of test results.
2. Reduced Cost: Vertical Probe Cards require less space, so they can be more cost-effective than other solutions on the market. They also have fewer components and consume less power, making them more energy efficient and reducing their overall costs of ownership.
3. Increased Flexibility: Because vertical probe cards are smaller and require fewer components, they can be used in a variety of applications including high-density testing and design validation. This offers greater flexibility for users who need to quickly adapt their testing process to meet changing product requirements or specifications.
4. Improved Reliability: The increased contact density provided by vertical probe cards improves reliability as it reduces the chances of failure due to contact misalignment or poor mechanical fit between probes and substrates. This ensures reliable test results even when used in harsh environments or with fast switching signals.
Market Value and CAGR of the Vertical Probe Cards Market (2021-2032)
The Market Value and CAGR of the Vertical Probe Cards Market is expected to reach USD 5,632.2 Million by 2032, with a CAGR of 4.3% during the forecast period 2021-2032.
Challenges of the Vertical Probe Cards Market
1. High price sensitivity: Vertical probe cards are relatively expensive and customers are very price sensitive, which makes it difficult for companies to increase prices or introduce new products at higher price points.
2. Lack of standardization: Since vertical probe cards are not standardized across different manufacturers, there is difficulty in choosing the correct card for any given application. This can lead to compatibility issues and additional costs when a customer needs to switch suppliers or buy multiple cards from different vendors.
3. Increasing competition: With increased pressure on margins, many new players have entered the market and added to the competitive landscape, making it difficult for existing suppliers to maintain their market share in the face of rising competition.
4. Stringent quality requirements: Given the critical nature of these products, customers demand high levels of quality and reliability that require strict testing procedures and processes which can add to production costs.
Key Players of the Vertical Probe Cards Market
Tektronix Inc., Formfactor, Inc., Credence Systems Corporation, Cascade Microteach, Inc., Advantest Corporation, Teledyne Leroy, Chroma ATE Inc., Chou Electronics Industries, Teradyne Inc. and others.
The most demanded product of the Vertical Probe Cards Market is expected to be the drop-in type.
The applications of Vertical Probe Cards Market include Automotive, Electronics & Electricals, Healthcare and others. The electronics & electricals segment is expected to hold the highest share in the market due its high demand owing to increased technology upgradations and advancements in this sector.
The end users of the Vertical Probe Cards Market are manufacturing companies, research institutes, enterprises and others. The manufacturing companies’ segment is expected to hold a significant share during the forecast period because of its usage for various electronic testings and verification purposes in these industries.
It is observed that North America dominates the global vertical probe cards market followed by Asia Pacific region due to developments in automation industry and technological advancements in these regions. In addition, increasing investments towards semiconductor devices such as smart cards are further propelling the growth of this market in North America region
Impact of Covid-19 on the Vertical Probe Cards Market
The outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on the vertical probe cards market. The pandemic has affected the global semiconductor industry, with the majority of foundries and fabs halting operations due to the lockdown measures implemented across various countries.
The decrease in demand for vertical probe cards is mainly due to the slowdown in the global economy and the decline in consumer confidence. The automotive and consumer electronics sectors, which are major end-users of semiconductors, have been severely impacted by the pandemic. Automobile sales have declined sharply across all major markets, while consumer electronics spending has also decreased due to lower disposable incomes. This has resulted in reduced demand for vertical probe cards from these industries.
Key developments in the Vertical Probe Cards Market
In January, 2021, Cascade Microteach, Inc. (A Yokogawa Company) declared the launch of Insight™, its newest innovative platform for probing system-on-chip (SoC), semiconductor devices. This new platform will enable customers to acquire comprehensive data on their device performance under real-life conditions. This new technology is expected to be a game changer for the semiconductor industry and expand the application areas of vertical probe cards in industrial sectors such as automotive, consumer electronics, and medical devices.
In December 2020, TEL Tokyo Electron Ltd., announced the launch of its new generation vertical probe cards which can handle high power ICs up to 10 watts and also have improved accuracy and speed. This technology is expected to enhance the capabilities of existing vertical probe cards and enable them to meet the growing demand from various industries, such as automotive and consumer electronic markets.
Vertical Probe Cards Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2031||USD 5,632.2 Million|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 4.3 % during 2021-2031|
|Segment Covered||By Type, By Application, End Users, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, South America|
|Key Players Profiled||Tektronix Inc., Formfactor, Inc., Credence Systems Corporation, Cascade Microteach, Inc., Advantest Corporation, Teledyne Leroy, Chroma ATE Inc., Chou Electronics Industries, Teradyne Inc. and others.|
Key Segment Vertical Probe Cards Market
By Type Overview 2021-2031, (USD Million)
• MEMS Vertical Probe Cards
• Non-MEMS Vertical Probe Cards
By Application Overview 2021-2031, (USD Million)
• Foundry and Logic
• Others (RF or MMW or Radar, etc.)
By End-User Overview 2021-2031, ($ Billion)
• Manufacturing companies
By Region Overview 2021-2031, ($ Billion)
• Rest of Asia Pacific
• Rest of North America
• Rest of Europe
Middle East and Africa