In 2017, the global transparent ceramics market size was USD 260.6 million and is forecast to grow on account of its increasing use as a glass substitute in optics & optoelectronics. There is a lucrative demand for transparent ceramics as these materials are highly specialized having superior biological, chemical, thermal, magnetic and optical properties as compared to plastics and polymer materials.
Global Transparent Ceramics Market Revenue, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
Transparent ceramic materials are capable of transmitting 90% of the wavelengths. With this capability, the material provides tremendous applications suitable for solid-state lasers, nonlinear optics, and optical components. Also, it is an emerging business segment as well as a highly promising alternative to technologies in a wide range of applications which comprise lasers, optical fibers, high energy radiation detection, and armors among others.
In terms of product, the global transparent ceramics market is segmented into monocrystalline transparent ceramics and polycrystalline transparent ceramics among others. In 2017, monocrystalline transparent ceramics accounted for more than 50.0% of the global transparent ceramics market share. However, the polycrystalline product is projected to grow with the highest CAGR in the forecast period owing to its cost-effectiveness as compared to its counterpart. Also, Konoshima Chemical Co., Ltd., a Japanese based company, developed a high quality polycrystalline ceramic YAG which has a unique composite structure, comparable light scattering loss, and superior doping profiles.
Based on the material, the transparent ceramics market is segmented into aluminum oxynitride, sapphire, yttrium aluminum garnet (YAG), spinel among others. The sapphire segment accounted for the maximum market share of over 25.0% in 2017 and is forecasted to grow at the highest CAGR in the forecast period. The growth trend can be attributed to advantages such as extreme temperature resistance, hardness, chemical resistance, and optical clarity.
In 2017, the optics & optoelectronics contributed to over 30.0% of the global transparent ceramics market share, however, the aerospace, defense & security segment is anticipated to grow at the lucratively in the mentioned forecast period. The growth in the aerospace, defense & sector can be attributed to future requirements of armor which is lightweight, affordable and multifunctional. Currently, glass and polycarbonate technologies are not expected to meet future requirements.
The Asia Pacific region accounted for the maximum share in 2017, holding over 45.0% market share and a similar trend is expected over the forecast period. The growth is attributed to the growing Japanese semiconductor industry. According to the International Trade Association, Japan is the third largest semiconductor manufacturing country in the world. Growth in production of electronic devices with touchscreen displays consisting of sapphire as a component in manufacturing hubs such as China, India, and Japan is anticipated to fuel the market growth.
The global transparent ceramics market is marked by the presence of well-established ceramic manufacturers. Key players within the market include Koninklijke Philips N.V., II-VI Optical Systems, SCHOTT AG, CeramTec, American Elements, Surmet Corporation, Cilas, CeraNova, General Electric, CoorsTek Inc., Saint-Gobain, Morgan Advanced Materials, Konoshima Chemical Co., Ltd., KOITO MANUFACTURING CO., LTD., Optocity, Advanced Ceramics Manufacturing, Blasch Precision Ceramics, Inc., and Ceradyne among others.
The key players in the global transparent ceramics market are conducting extensive research & development in order to increase their footprints in the market. For instance, Surmet Corporation, a U.S based advanced material components manufacturers, is the only company in the world to produce the hardest polycrystalline transparent ceramic and is widely used in developing defense items. Also, over the past 10 years, the company has invested USD 25.0 million in the research and development along with funding of USD 32.0 million from the United States in order to be the leader.
Transparent Ceramics Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 1.34 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 22.6% during 2021-2028|
|Segment Covered||Product, Material, Application, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, South America|
|Key Players Profiled||Koninklijke Philips N.V., II-VI Optical Systems, SCHOTT AG, CeramTec, American Elements, Surmet Corporation, Cilas, CeraNova, General Electric, CoorsTek Inc., Saint-Gobain, Morgan Advanced Materials, Konoshima Chemical Co., Ltd., KOITO MANUFACTURING CO., LTD., Optocity, Advanced Ceramics Manufacturing, Blasch Precision Ceramics, Inc., and Ceradyne among others.|
Key segments of the global transparent ceramics market
Product Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Monocrystalline Transparent Ceramics
- Polycrystalline Transparent Ceramics
Material Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Yttrium Aluminum Garnet
- Aluminum Oxynitride
Application Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Optics and Optoelectronics
- Aerospace, Defense & Security
- Sensors & Instrumentation
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Reasons for the study
- The study assesses the dynamics and movement of the global transparent ceramics market across various geographies
- While studying the global transparent ceramics market, we observed lucrative demand from developing countries such as India, China among others
- The market is consolidated and major players have their presence across the globe. The companies as well as research institutes are concentrating on studies to enhance technological advancements to meet the global demand.
What does the report include?
- The report focuses on transparent ceramics market on the basis of therapeutics and indications.
- The study on the global transparent ceramics market includes qualitative factors such as pipeline analysis, drivers, restraints and opportunities.
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of component, end users and region. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
- The report on the global transparent ceramics market is suitable for all the players across the value chain including armor, electronics, optics manufacturers
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the global transparent ceramics market
- Consultants, analysts, researcher, and academicians looking for insights shaping the global transparent ceramics market