Power rental is renting of generator that operates on gas, diesel, or any other fuel for power generation applications. Generator renting is highly utilized in commercial and industrial applications by virtue of continuous power supply needs. Leading generator manufacturers are Yamaha, Himoinsa, Ashok Leyland, Kirloskar Oil Engines, Mitsubishi, Atlas Copco, Rapid Power Generation, Briggs & Stratton Corporation, Supernova Genset, Cummins, Wärtsilä, John Deere, Sterling Generators, Greaves Cotton, and Powerica.
The global power rental market revenue was valued at >USD 14 Billion in 2019. This can be attributed to the increasing infrastructure and manufacturing activities in developing and developed economies. Increasing government spending to strengthen manufacturing industry in India and China is expected to drive power rental market over the coming years. Moreover, inadequate electricity supply in rural part of many emerging economies, ageing infrastructure, need for continuous industrial operations is expected to further add power rental market growth. However, uncertain crude oil prices, slowdown in economies, and stringent government regulations regarding carbon emission is expected to be the major market challenges over the forecast period. Increasing number of diesel and gas power plants in India, China, Brazil, Argentina, and Southeast Asia is projected to open new avenues for the industry in foreseeable future.
Key Segments of the Global Power Rental Market
Fuel Type Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
Application Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- Peak Shaving
- Standby Power
- Base Load
End User Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- Oil & Gas
Regional Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
- Rest of South America
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global power rental market. Benchmark yourself against the rest of the market.
- Ensure you remain competitive as innovations by existing key players to boost the market.
What does the report include?
- The study on the global power rental market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities
- The study covers the competitive landscape of existing/prospective players in the power rental industry and their strategic initiatives for the product development
- The study covers a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented based on fuel fuel type and application. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments.
Who should buy this report?
- This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the global power rental market. The report will benefit: Every stakeholder involved in the power rental market.
- Managers within the power rental industry looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics about the global power rental market.
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers, and organizations looking for investments in trends of global power rental market.
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies.
Lack of electricity access in rural part of developing economies such as in India, China, Southeast Asia, and Brazil is expected to open new avenues for power rental industry over the coming years. According to Energy Access Outlook, more than 10% of the world population is still facing electricity shortage problems. Increasing electricity demand in urban part followed by rising electricity blackout problems in African and Asian countries are further expected to add market growth. According to Energy Access Outlook, more than 90% of the global population in urban area had adequate supply of electricity. However, only 70% of the global population in rural area had sufficient electricity supply. Poor infrastructure followed by increasing government initiative to strengthen manufacturing industry is expected to open new avenues for power rental industry in African countries.
Fuel Type Segment
Based on the fuel type, the market is segmented into diesel, gas, and others. The diesel fuel segment leads the market growth in 2019 and it is anticipated to hold its position during the forecast years. The market growth of this segment is mainly attributed to the growing adoption of diesel generators in manufacturing, oil & gas, and mining industry. However, stringent government regulations in North America and Europe concerning reducing carbon emission is expected to lower is growth in coming years.
In terms of the application, the market is segmented into peak shaving, standby power, and base load. In 2019, standby power accumulated the major market share and it is expected to do so over the forecast years. Ability to operate within seconds of the power outage followed by electrical back up system is expected to increase its market concentration in coming years. Moreover, increasing adoption in hospital, schools, and other commercial buildings will add segment market growth.
End User Segment
In terms of the end user, the market is segmented into Utilities, Oil & Gas, Construction, Mining, Manufacturing, and Others. Utility end user segment is expected to be the fastest growing segment for power rental industry over the coming years. Poor transmission network followed by lack of continuous power supply in Asia and African countries are expected to open new avenues for power rental in utility application. Large number of diesel and gas power plants in Asia and Africa are expected to encourage utility companies for rental generators in order to fulfill power demand.
The North America region dominated the overall market in 2019 and it is projected to keep its position during the forecast years 2018-2028. The market growth in this region is mostly ascribed to the ageing energy grid infrastructure due to natural calamities in the United States, causing continuous electricity outage. Additionally, recovery in manufacturing and construction industry over the past few years in U.S. and Canada is further expected to add market growth in coming years.
The major players of the global power rental market are Caterpillar, Atlas Copco, Cummins, United Rentals, Ashtead Group, Aggreko, APR Energy, Bredenoord Exploitatiemij B.V., Kohler, and Rental Solutions & Services. Moreover, the market comprises several other prominent players in the power rental market that are Herc Holdings, Generac Power Systems, Wacker Neuson SE, Wärtsilä Corporation, Speedy Hire, Smart Energy Solutions, Soenergy International, and Multiquip. The power rental market consists of well-established global as well as local players. In addition, the previously recognized market players are coming up with new and advanced strategic solutions and services to stay competitive in the global market.