The global organic and natural personal care market size reached nearly USD 13.0 billion in 2018. Rising consumer awareness and preference for personal care products that are based on organic and natural ingredients are considered to positively impact the global organic personal care market trends in the future.
Customers have been aware of the prolonged effects of utilizing synthetic personal care products, owing to which they are currently opting for daily personal products that do not include ingredients such as parabens, hazardous sulfates, phthalates, mineral oil, paraffin, diethanolamine (DEA), and others. This, in turn, is expected to boost the organic and natural personal care products market growth by 2025.
The global rise in consumer spending on mass market as well as premium beauty brands is expected to favor the market growth of organic personal care products over the forecast period. According to the U.N. Development Programme (UNDP), approximately USD 8 billion has been spent on cosmetics in the US, in 2018. Strong GDP growth rates since 2015, in Asia Pacific countries mainly China, India, ASEAN, and Australia have increased the consumer spending on personal care and cosmetics products across all the economic classes from low to high-income buyers. This trend is expected to continue in the future driving the demand for organic and natural beauty products across the globe.
A strong presence of the personal care industry in regions such as Europe, Asia Pacific, and North America is considered to be an ideal marketplace for the consumers to purchase products based on natural ingredients. Additionally, such a prevalent industrial presence has benefited the personal care firms to target a wide range of audience. This, in turn, has favored the market growth of natural and organic products over the recent years.
Some of the key players operating in the organic and natural personal care products market include Burt’s Bees, Natura Cosméticos S.A., The Estée Lauder Companies Inc., The Body Shop International PLC, Aveda Corporation, The Hain Celestial Group, and Amway Corporation.
Organic And Natural Personal Care Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 13.0 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 8.3% during 2021-2028|
|Segment Covered||Product Type, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Rest of the World|
|Key Players Profiled||Burt’s Bees, Natura Cosméticos S.A., The Estée Lauder Companies Inc., The Body Shop International PLC, Aveda Corporation, The Hain Celestial Group, and Amway Corporation.|
Key segments of the global organic and natural personal care market
Product Type Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Skin care
- Hair care
- Oral care
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of the World
Reasons for the study
The study highlights the market dynamics and penetration of the organic personal care sector in the global market. Key reasons of publishing this research study include:
- Recent market trends and emerging brands pertaining to the natural personal care sector. These trends benefited us in understanding the rising use of organic ingredients in the production of various skin care, hair care, and cosmetic products.
- Consumer preferences and awareness coupled with rise in the spending on FMCG goods has been analyzed for understanding product adoption and variations across all geographies
- Product marketing and supply channels, market competition, entry of new players are another important parameters that have changed with time
- Product innovation and new brand launches have also been taken into account for evaluating the market competition
- Regulations on conventional or synthetic cosmetics in North America and Europe have also been taken into account for understanding their impact on organic personal care sector
What does the report include?
The study on the global organic and natural personal care market covers:
- Market value chain that depicts presence of natural ingredient suppliers, organic personal care manufacturers, distributors, and end-users
- Porter’s Five Forces analysis that highlights the current and future scenario of the market competition
- Globally impacting market drivers, restraining factors, and futuristic growth opportunities
- Market segmentation by product type and region. Market sizing from 2015 to 2025 with 2018 as the base year of estimation. Product type segmentation for key countries of each region.
- Business outline, product offerings, and financials of global players
Who should buy this report?
This study can be helpful for:
- Stakeholders and other industry participants present in the personal care market value chain
- Companies executives that are engaged in business strategy planning and supply of organic personal care products
- Financial directors and venture capitalists that are looking to invest in the beauty sector
- Regulatory authorities and other government organizations that aim to develop the local industry
- Foreign investors interested in tapping markets with strong potential
- Analysts, consultants, and educational institutes interested in understanding the overall performance of the natural personal care industry
The recent trends associated with the organic and natural personal care market have enlarged the scope for market expansion. Manufacturers of natural personal care products have been persistent in innovating new product formulations as well as modifying the quality of their existing product portfolios. In order to cater to the customer needs the key players have been promoting organic products, which in turn has increased the natural personal care market growth. Amway Corporation, for instance, offers organic and natural personal care products under Artistry, Satinique, and G&H trademarks. These brands cover a wide range of products from hair and skin care to oral care and comprise of botanical extracts and herbal ingredients.
The entry of new regional players over the last decade has intensified the competition in the global organic and natural personal care industry. Wide product differentiation coupled with increased know-how regarding the lifestyle needs of the consumer has paved way for the new players to enter the market. A recent shift in consumer behavior and purchase patterns from chemical-based to natural based products has benefited these newcomers in sustaining the competition. The business overviews of some of the new entrants include:
- YASOU, a new skin care company located in Chicago, US provides vegan unisex products that include lip balms and face creams. Additionally, the company’s product line is water-based and consists of certified natural ingredients including peppermint, lavender, and mastic.
- Organic Harvest, an India based personal care firm was established in 2015. The company offers 100% organic, fertilizer and pesticide-free products for hair care, body care, and facial care. These products are certified by international organizations such as OneCert, EcoCert, and Natrue.
- A subsidiary of Counter Brands LLC, Beautycounter has been one of the key players operating in the natural cosmetics industry. The company offers natural skin care and make-up products. In 2016, the parent firm acquired the natural skin care and cosmetics business assets of NUDE Brands, Ltd. This acquisition has enabled both the firms in expanding their presence internationally over recent years.
Skin care, cosmetics, hair care, and oral care are the major product segments of the organic and natural personal care products market. The skin care category held the largest share of the total organic and natural personal care market size in 2018. 100% PURE, OSEA, Nourish Organics, and Tata Harper Skincare are some of the trending brands in the global organic and natural personal care products market. The True Botanicals, SW Basics, Christina Moss Naturals, Juice Beauty, Nourish Organic, Trilogy, and Biotique are a few of the other important players that offer a broad line of natural skin care products.
A wide range of organic and natural skin care products are available in the marketplace that includes cleansers, toners, astringents, vitamin based serums, facial oils, skin brightening night and day creams, sunscreen lotions, and face masks. The demand for these natural skin care products is expected to rise significantly over the upcoming years, as a consequence of the rising consumer dependency on time-saving daily routines and beauty remedies.
Busy lifestyle in urban areas coupled with constant exposure to air pollution has led to a boost in the customer requirements for protective topical products that concern the facial skin area. In addition to this, customers are specifically opting for products that contain botanical ingredients as a measure to safeguard their skin and limit the dependence on toxic chemical-based formulations. This, as a result, is likely to propel the market demand for natural skin care products at a healthy compounded annual growth rate of 8.2% in the next six years.
The list of products that fall under the organic and natural hair care category includes shampoos, hair oils, hair serums, hair masks, and others. OGX Beauty, CavinKare, Organic Hair Care Inc., Prose, John Masters Organics, Truly Organic, Alaffia, Aromatica, and 100% PURE are a few of the well-known brands available in the global market. Demand for organic oral care products is likely to witness expansion at a CAGR of over 7.5% by 2025. The natural cosmetics category is considered to depict the fastest growth among the major segments in the future.
North America accounted for more than 35% of the total organic and natural personal care market size in 2018. Presence of a well-established FMCG manufacturing sector and the increasing willingness of the customer to switch from conventional to emerging, natural beauty brands are a couple of the key organic personal care market trends that have reflected in the US, Canada, and Mexico. The US organic and natural personal care market size is likely to rise at 7.9% CAGR from 2019 to 2025.
Implementation of strong regulations on consumer goods and retail has provided a boost to the US organic and natural personal care market size over the recent years. The USDA provides labeling standards for organic personal care products, based on the total content of organic ingredients in the finished product. For instance, Companies such as 100% PURE and Juice Beauty offer USDA certified organic skin care products.
The US FDA regulates and ratifies cosmetics through various acts, laws, and propositions including the Safe Cosmetics Act 2011 and Food, Drug and Cosmetics Act (FD&C Act) and California Proposition 65 – lead in cosmetics. This regulatory scenario is expected to result in a drastic decrease of synthetic ingredient usage, thus offering a favorable scope for the US organic and natural personal care market growth by 2025.
Asia Pacific and Europe are likely to portray healthy trends in the organic personal care market over the years ahead. Germany, France, and the UK are the major countries that are expected to be the top consumers of natural personal care products in Europe. China, India, and South Korea are projected to depict a fast-growing organic and natural personal care market in the next six years. Rest of the regions including Middle East and Africa and South America and Middle East are likely to be the emerging marketplaces for the organic personal care sector by 2025.