The global masterbatch market was valued at USD 11.72 billion in 2019. The market is attributed to grow at a CAGR of 6.6% over the forecast period of 2019 to 2025. The global masterbatch industry is primarily anticipated by rising demand for plastics in a range of applications, such as metal, steel substitution, and concrete with lightweight plastics. Additionally, the use of coloring plastics in most industrial industries, such as automobile, building, construction, and consumer goods further adds to the demand for masterbatch worldwide.
Masterbatch is used in solid and liquid formulations and is used both to add color and to improve the beneficial properties of polymers such as antistatic, antiblocking, antifog, flame retardation, and UV stabilization. Specific forms of carrier materials such as polyethylene terephthalate, polypropylene, polyvinyl chloride, polyethylene are favored for use in injection molding and extrusion process. The U.S. packaging industry has seen a significant increase owing to success in the e-commerce sector. Manufacturers of consumer goods have increased merchandise packages to draw a vast number of buyers and improve sales of their items.
The global masterbatch market is categorized based on type, polymer and application. Region wise, Asia Pacific was the largest market in 2018, and is anticipated to grow at a significant CAGR over the forecast period. Europe is expected to grow at a significant rate over the coming years.
Key players serving the global masterbatch market include Clariant AG, Ampacet Corporation, A.Schulman, Inc., Polyone Corporation, Cabot Corporation, Plastika Kritis S.A., Plastiblends India Ltd, Hubron International, Tosaf Group, and Penn Color, Inc. among others.
Key segments of the global masterbatch market
Type Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Billion)
Polymer Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Billion)
Application Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Billion)
- Building & Construction
- Consumer Goods
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Billion)
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Reasons for the study
· The purpose of the study is to give a comprehensive outlook of the global masterbatch market industry
· Masterbatch are widely used for various end uses owing to their excellent properties and the market is expected to gain traction over the coming years
· With the growing transportation and construction activities in the market, there is a rise in the demand for masterbatch which is further expected to have a positive impact on the overall market growth
What does the report include?
- The study on the global masterbatch market includes analysis of qualitative market indicators such as drivers, restraints, challenges and opportunities
- Additionally, the market competition has been evaluated using the Porter’s five forces analysis
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of end uses, and type. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the considered segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
- The report on the global masterbatch market is suitable for all the players across the value chain including raw material suppliers, masterbatch providers, construction, transportation, packaging end users, distributors, suppliers and retailers
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the global masterbatch market
Consultants, analysts, researchers, and academicians looking for insights shaping the global masterbatch market
- global masterbatch market has seen strong development over the past couple of years with its end-business, and is anticipated to continue in the coming years. The main driving factor would be a rise in demand for the product in various end-industries such as packaging, building & construction, automotive, consumer goods, textile, agriculture, household appliances, sports & leisure, and furniture.
Masterbatches are a solid or liquid plastic additive that protects the polymers from different harmful radiations and imparts color enhancing the mechanical properties. The abundance of low-cost labor and raw materials in the plastics industry is heavily concentrated in China and the South Asian countries. Different forms of color additives give the polymers enhanced properties and are developed with the aid of different dyes and pigments. The products are treated along with resins or polymers to supply plastics with the required color, and is used in various applications such as car parts and packaging activities.
Various forms of masterbatch are used to create attractive packaging which is expected to improve the commodity demand over the coming years. The growing emphasis on the usage of plastic in the automobile industry to minimize vehicle weight, thus enhancing fuel performance, propels the demand in the market for different forms of plastic along with use of masterbatch to impart functional properties. Developing economies such as China, Japan, India, and others have reported a rise in automobile development activities which are expected to further improve the region's plastic components demand over the coming years.
The global masterbatch market has been segmented based on type, polymer and application. Based on type, the market is categorized into color, additive, white, black, and filler. Based on application, the market is categorized into packaging, building & construction, automotive, consumer goods, textile, agriculture and others.
The color group, in terms of volume, is projected to lead the market over the coming years. It is attributed to the growing usage of color masterbatch in different applications such as advertising, agriculture, automobile, building & manufacturing, consumer products, and textiles.
In terms of volume, the packaging product category accounted for the highest market share, led by the building & construction category, in 2019. It is attributable to the need for food & beverage manufacturing, medical, personal care, residential, building & building, electric & telecommunications, and automobile, among other sectors. The emerging countries are designing the infrastructure utilizing masterbatch in the framework for building & development.
The demand in the automotive application segment is expected to register the highest CAGR in the market. Plastics offer superior mechanical, thermal, physical, and electrical properties than metal products. The technological materials for different parts such as steering wheel, dashboards seatbelts, airbags, and bumpers, are commonly utilized in automobile applications. Continuous creativity and competition for lightweight products in the car industry led to metals being substituted by plastics.
The global masterbatch market is divided on the basis of region as North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America and Middle East & Africa. Asia Pacific dominated the global masterbatch market in 2018; however, Europe is expected to grow at a significant pace through the year 2025.
In terms of volume, the APAC market is expected to post the highest demand in the global masterbatches market. The growth of the masterbatch industry is due to increased demand for packaging goods, as well as the increasing middle-class population that eventually drives the masterbatch sector in the region.
The European region is expected to register a significant growth over the forecast period. The enhanced demand can be due to the involvement of a range of end-use sectors, including the automobile, building & design, manufacturing, and consumer products. The development of these sectors along with its functional properties of the product is projected to boost the masterbatch market over the next few years.