The global intragastric balloon market was valued at USD 38.2 million in 2020 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 13.5% during the forecast period. Factors driving the growth of the intragastric balloon market include increasing obese population globally, low cost of intragastric balloon procedure and growing demand for minimally invasive surgeries.
Obesity is a universal epidemic with growing occurrence. Intragastric balloon (IGB) provides an innovative technique of weight loss intervention that is minimally invasive. It effects in temporary weight loss, although its long-term application rests controversial.
Regionally, North America accounted for the largest market share of the global intragastric balloon market attributable to high prevalence of obesity. Leading players of the global intragastric balloon market include Apollo Endosurgery, Inc., Allurion Technologies, Inc., Obalon Therapeutics, Inc., Spatz3, Endalis, Helioscopie, MEDSIL, Lexel Medical, ReShape Medical, Inc., among others.
Intragastric Balloon Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2028||USD 105 million|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 13.5% during 2021-2028|
|Segment Covered||Product, Filling Material,End-use, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, South America|
|Key Players Profiled||Apollo Endosurgery, Inc., Allurion Technologies, Inc., Obalon Therapeutics, Inc., Spatz3, Endalis, Helioscopie, MEDSIL, Lexel Medical, ReShape Medical, Inc., among others.|
Key segments of the global intragastric balloon market
Product Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- Single intragastric balloon
- Dual intragastric balloon
- Triple intragastric balloon
Filling Material Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- Saline-filled intragastric balloon
- Gas-filled intragastric balloon
End-use Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- Ambulatory surgical centers
Regional Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Asia Pacific
- South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
Reasons for the study
- Increasing global prevalence of obesity
- Growing awareness among obese patients
- Growing preference of patients towards non-surgical treatment for addressing obesity
What does the report include?
- The study on the global intragastric balloon market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints and opportunities
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of product, filling material and end-use. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
- The report on the global intragastric balloon market is suitable for all the players across the value chain including product manufacturing companies, suppliers/distributors, R&D labs, CROs, healthcare organizations, medical reimbursement and insurance providers
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the global intragastric balloon market
Consultants, analysts, researchers, and academicians looking for insights shaping the global intragastric balloon market
Obesity is a chronic disease that continues to be highly prevalent, representing a global public health problem. As reported by the World Health Organization (WHO), in 2016, 39% of the adult world population were overweight, while 11% of men and 15% of women were obese. These data are of concern since obesity is a risk factor for the development of several chronic diseases, including type 2 diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, chronic kidney disease, obstructive sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, and cancer. Many studies have shown that obesity is associated with an increased risk of all-cause mortality. Therefore, a high body mass index (BMI) can be considered a predictor of overall mortality with a reduction in survival as the index increases.
The global intragastric balloon market is categorized based on product, filling material and end-use.
By product: The single intragastric balloon dominated the market in 2020 due to enhanced product design and accessibility to huge number of products in the market while, triple intragastric balloons market will grow at a highest CAGR through the forecast timeframe.
By filling material: The saline-filled intragastric systems held the largest market share in 2020 due to high product obtainability and substantial weight loss made by these intragastric systems.
By end-use: In 2020, hospitals accounted for the largest share of the global intragastric balloon market owing to availability of trained professionals and the existence of sophisticated apparatus in hospital settings. However, ambulatory surgical centers are predicted to observer noteworthy growth over the forecast period
North America dominated the market for intragastric balloon in 2020. More than two-thirds of adult Americans are overweight or obese, and 1 in 20 have extreme obesity that is defined by a body mass index (BMI) > 40 kg/m2. However, <200,000 bariatric surgeries are performed in the United States annually despite a potential population numbering in the tens of millions. Because lifestyle and pharmacologic approaches are largely ineffective as stand-alone interventions, there is a pressing need for alternative, nonsurgical obesity therapies. Intragastric balloons placed and removed via upper endoscopy have been available in one form or another for three decades. Their initial stint in the United States was short lived; their popularity diminished owing to modest short-term outcomes, substantial side effects, and a few major complications. However, the US Food and Drug Administration has recently approved 2 intragastric balloons.