The global Gelatin market is estimated to cross USD 4.50 billion by 2028. Gelatin is defined as a denatured protein, developed from collagen (a constituent of connective tissue and bones of animals) and is widely used as a pure protein ingredient in the food industry on account of its exceptional gelling, emulsifying, binding and stabilizing properties. Increasing consumer inclination towards protein-rich diets, dietary supplements has enhanced the use of collagen peptide in the food and beverage industry.
The surge in demand for processed foods and energy drinks owing to changing lifestyles has spurred the global Gelatin market size. Also, developing food processing industry and general lifestyle diseases has driven a paradigm shift in consumers towards demand for nutraceuticals and functional foods, since these food categories aid in averting age-related diseases. Also, collagen utilization in wound healing is one of the emerging Gelatin market trends experimented on account of the increasingly obese and geriatric population globally. Also, the rising aged population with increasing awareness towards health consciousness has led to a demand for low fat, healthy and high protein foods, thus, supplementing the need for Gelatin-based products.
Gelatin Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2028||USD 4.50 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 5.0% during 2021-2028|
|Segment Covered||Raw Material, Application, Function, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa|
|Key Players Profiled||Tessenderlo Group, Rousselot, Capsugel, Nitta Gelatin Inc., Catelent Inc., Weishardt, Sterling Gelatin, Norland Products Inc., and Roxlor LLC.|
Key Segments of the Global Gelatin Market
Raw Material Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- Pig Skin
- Bovine Hides
Application Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- Food & Beverage
Function Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- Gelling Agent
Regional Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global Gelatin market.
- Gelatin is widely used in nutraceuticals and pharmaceuticals industry, owing to their excellent properties and the market is expected to gain traction over the coming years.
- With the growing demand for functional food industry, the market is further expected to have a positive opportunity in near future.
What does the report include?
- The study on the global Gelatin market includes qualitative insights such as drivers, restraints, challenges and opportunities
- Additionally, the market has been evaluated using the porter’s five forces analysis
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of raw material, function, and application. Moreover, the study on Gelatin market provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players operating in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
- The report on the global Gelatin market is suitable for all the players across the value chain including raw material providers, manufacturers, distributors, and other intermediaries
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the global Gelatin market
- Consultants, analysts, researchers, and academicians looking for insights shaping the global Gelatin market
The food industry is governed by strict laws that control animal-based raw materials and ingredients used in product production. European and North American countries are actively interested in the creation of such regulations. In Europe, for example, Gelatin manufacturers must adhere to the standards and conditions outlined in REGULATION (EU) 2016/355. According to the regulation, raw materials used in Gelatin manufacture for human consumption must follow certain guidelines, such as adhering to defined residual limits and undergoing specific treatments to minimize disease incidence in humans.
On the basis of raw material, pig skin holds the major share of the global Gelatin market with a projected revenue CAGR of more than 5.0% from 2021 to 2028. Pig skin contains a large amount of collagen; hence it is utilized for manufacturing Gelatin on a large scale. The simple production process, less pretreatment time and superior quality of the product has made pig skin an ideal source of the raw material.
Apart from this, bovine hides is another potential segment of the global Gelatin market. Easy availability of cattle skin from slaughterhouses and leather industry is another key aspect behind the growth of global Gelatin market size. However, Gelatin from sources such as pig raises the sociocultural concern of not being halal and becomes unacceptable by multiple religions globally. Thus, rising interest in the incorporation of by-products from fish as a source has emerged as one of the upcoming Gelatin market trends since the past few years.
Gelling, water binding, and protective colloid properties along with compatibility with milk proteins have made Gelatin an excellent stabilizer in the dairy industry. As a stabilizer, Gelatin surpassed 40% of the market revenue share in 2020. Also, protective colloid action gives a smooth texture and is most effective in preventing separation. It is often added to cultured dairy products in small amounts to provide a smooth body.
Europe held the largest market share and accounted for market revenue of more than USD 700 million in the global Gelatin market 2020. Implementation of stringent regulatory policies pertaining to the prevention of the spread of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) has supported the growth of global Gelatin market. Germany and France are poised to be the leading consumers of Gelatin in Europe, collectively surpassing a market share for over 30%. Apart from this, demand in the North America market is also expected to rise in the near future on account of rapid growth in photography, nutraceuticals, and cosmetic applications.
Key manufacturers in the global Gelatin market are majorly involved in strengthening their product portfolio and market reach in order to maintain goodwill in the market. Some of the leading manufacturers of Gelatin include Tessenderlo Group, Rousselot, Capsugel, Nitta Gelatin Inc., Catelent Inc., Weishardt, Sterling Gelatin, Norland Products Inc., and Roxlor LLC.