The global defibrillators market was valued at USD 7,702.1 million in 2018. Rapid increase in prevalence of cardiovascular diseases leading to sudden cardiac arrest, growing focus on providing public-access defibrillators, launch of innovative external defibrillators and implantable devices and favorable government support for cardiopulmonary resuscitation are the key factors driving the global defibrillators market.
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation is an emergency lifesaving technique performed when the heart stops beating. Thus, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) devices and defibrillators are used to restore breathing, and increase survival of patients. Defibrillators are widely used in hospitals, pre-hospital settings, public access markets, emergency care, and community settings. Rapid rise in incidence of cardiovascular diseases such as arrhythmia, tachycardia, coronary artery disease across the globe is expected to drive the demand for defibrillators in the future. These diseases increase the risk of sudden cardiac arrest (SCA), which causes huge disease burden on the healthcare systems. For instance, according to American Heart Association (AHA), approximately 347,322 adults witnessed an episode of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest resulting from coronary artery disease (CAD) in 2019.
The global defibrillators market is categorized based on product and end-users. Based on product, the defibrillators market is segmented into implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs), and external defibrillators. Implantable cardioverter defibrillators segment held the largest share of the market in 2018 owing to growing adoption of subcutaneous ICDs and cardiac resynchronization therapy defibrillators (CRT-Ds). Geographically, North America dominated the global defibrillators market in 2018; however, Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest growing region by 2025.
Key players operating in the global defibrillators market include Medtronic plc, Physio-Control (Stryker Corporation), Zoll Medical Corporation (Asahi Kasei), Koninklijke Philips N.V., Boston Scientific Corporation, St. Jude Medical LLC, Schiller AG, Nihon Kohden Corporation, Defibtech, LLC, LivaNova plc, and Biotronik among others.
Key Segments of the Global Defibrillators Market
Product Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (ICDs)
- Transvenous Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (T-ICDs)
- Single Chamber Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators
- Dual Chamber Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators
- Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Defibrillators (CRT-D)
- Subcutanenous Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (S-ICDs)
- Transvenous Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (T-ICDs)
- External Defibrillators
- Manual External Defibrillators
- Automated External Defibrillators
- Wearable Cardioverter Defibrillators
End-user Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Pre-hospital care settings
- Public Access Market
- Home Care Settings
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Reasons for the study
- Rapid adoption of defibrillators and CPR devices
- Increase in cardiac implant procedures across the globe
- Rapid technology advancements in defibrillators industry
- Increase in investment and support by government through training and awareness programs
What does the report include?
- The study on the global defibrillators market includes qualitative insights such as drivers, restraints, challenges and opportunities
- Additionally, the market has been evaluated using the Porter’s Five Forces analysis
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of product, and end-users. Moreover, the study on defibrillators market provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players operating in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
- The report on the global defibrillators market is suitable for all the players across the value chain including raw material suppliers, hospitals, cardiac centers, medical device manufacturers, emergency care settings, critical care units, healthcare organizations, distributors, and technology geeks
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the global defibrillators market
- Consultants, analysts, researchers, and academicians looking for insights shaping the global defibrillators market
Defibrillators are used in emergency care situations with an aim to improve survival and restore breathing in patients with sudden cardiac arrest. Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) is an abrupt disruption of the heart’s function that causes a lack of blood flow to vital organs. According to American Heart Association (AHA), more than 356,000 sudden cardiac arrests occur in out-of-hospital settings in the U.S. every year. It is the leading cause of unexpected mortality across the globe. Immediate treatment is critical factor for successful cardiac resuscitation. If a patient does not receive cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and early defibrillation from an AED, chances of survival decreases by 10% with each passing minute. Thus, implementation of cardiopulmonary resuscitation devices and external defibrillators in healthcare facilities and emergence care settings is indispensable and will lead to increased demand in the future.
Development of advanced defibrillators by key industry players is anticipated to provide immense growth opportunities in the future. For instance, KORE Wireless developed an integrated or connected AED solution - KORE AED that enables organizations to connect defibrillator devices to facilitate real-time delivery of AED data to hospital emergency staff. These novel devices will improve patient outcomes and increase survival rates during cardiac emergencies.
The global defibrillators market has been segmented based on product, and end-users. Based on product, the defibrillators market is segmented into implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs), and external defibrillators. Implantable cardioverter defibrillators are further sub-categorized into transvenous implantable cardioverter defibrillators and subcutaneous implantable cardioverter defibrillators. Transvenous implantable cardioverter defibrillators are further sub-classified into single chamber ICDs, dual chamber ICDs, and cardiac resynchronization therapy defibrillators (CRT-D). Implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) segment held substantial share of the global market in 2018 owing to large population affected with cardiovascular diseases leading to an increased risk of sudden cardiac arrest.
On the basis of end-users, the global defibrillators market is categorized into hospitals and cardiac centers, pre-hospital care settings, home care settings, public access market, and others. Hospitals held the majority of the market share in 2018. Cardiac surgeries, catheterization procedures and general anesthesia may lead to increased risk of sudden cardiac arrest. Thus, there is higher adoption of defibrillators in hospitals for such emergency situations.
The global defibrillators market is cumulative to North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America and Middle East & Africa. North America held majority share of the global defibrillators market in 2018, however Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a highest pace through 2025.
Increase in incidence of cardiovascular diseases along with high burden of sudden cardiac arrest in the U.S. is a major factor attributable to its dominant position. Furthermore, increase in procedure volume for implantable cardioverter defibrillators, favorable government support through training programs for resuscitation are other major factors likely to boost the growth of the market in North America. For instance, according to American Heart Association (AHA), prevalence of training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation was 18% in the U.S. in 2019.
However, Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a rapid pace over the next few years. Increase in prevalence of cardiac disorders in India and China with huge geriatric population, growing adoption of external defibrillators is expected to drive the growth of the market in the future.