The global visceral pain market was worth USD 9.92 billion in 2017 and is likely to grow on account of rising geriatric population and increasing over the counter analgesic drugs sale. Pharmaceutical companies are spending heavily on research and development in order to make accessible the pain relievers to millions of patients across the world.
The visceral pain is an internal pain which is caused by inflammation of internal organs such as stomach, uterus, bladder, and rectum. The inflammation arises due to various factors such as trauma, infection, disease or any injury inside or outside of the internal organs. The pain caused by this can vary in intensity from being constant, sharp or sometimes very deep pain like something is squeezing out of the body.
In 2017, analgesics accounted for more than 60% of the global visceral pain market share and is expected to maintain its dominance over the study period. Widely available products coupled with over the counter sales are expected to drive the segment growth in the coming years. Analgesics are further segmented into narcotics and NSAIDs. The NSAID (Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) are widely used as initial therapy for common inflammation. The NSAID is often called steroids as these drugs mainly inhibit the synthesis of prostaglandins which is generated in response to cell injury. According to The American Journal of Medicine, the complications from NSAID is 100,000 patients out of which 20,000 deaths occur yearly. Lack of availability of narcotics in emerging countries such as India, Japan, and Brazil where the patient pool is huge is expected to hinder the segment growth.
By indication, the global visceral pain market is segmented into interstitial cystitis, Crohn's, irritable bowel and chronic prostatitis. In the year 2017, the Crohn’s disease dominated the industry with more than 35% of the global visceral pain market share. On the other hand, irritable bowel syndrome is expected to emerge as the most lucrative segment. According to the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2015, approximately 3 million people were diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) either Crohn's or ulcerative colitis. The number of patients has drastically increased as compared to 1999 which stood at 1 million. Also, the cost to treat Crohn's disease has increased by approximately 3% from 2008 to 2014.
North America dominated the global visceral pain industry in 2017 and a similar trend is expected to continue over the forecast period on account of the growing cancer patient pool. In cancer, pain is one of the most feared and burdensome symptoms. Cancer patients not only suffer pain during the diagnosis but the pain persists even after the completion of treatment. In 2018, the United States accounted for a total of 1,735,350 new cancer cases out of which 609,640 deaths occurred. Such a high pool of cancer patients in the region is expected to fuel the growth of visceral pain market in North America. Asia Pacific is expected to emerge as a lucrative market on account of the high prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome in countries such as China and India.
The global visceral pain market is marked by the presence of well-established pharmaceutical companies. Key players within the market include Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, AbbVie Inc., Takeda Pharmaceutical Company, Allergan, AstraZeneca, ADDEX THERAPEUTICS, and Astellas Pharma among other players. The key players are focusing on research & development in order to increase their footprints in the market.
For instance, in January 2019, Ironwood Pharmaceuticals Inc., a U.S based biotechnology company announced that the marketing applications of LINZESS® (linaclotide) for adults with irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) in China has been approved by the National Medical Products Administration and the launch would take place in second half of 2019 along with its partner in China, AstraZeneca. Such approvals are expected to increase drug availability in potential markets benefiting global visceral pain market growth.
Visceral Pain Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 15.16 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 5.6% during 2021-2028|
|Segment Covered||Therapeutics, Indications, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Rest of the World|
|Key Players Profiled||Pfizer Inc., Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., AbbVie Inc., Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, ALLERGAN, AstraZeneca, ADDEX THERAPEUTICS, Astellas Pharma Inc. among other|
Key segments of the global visceral pain market
Therapeutics Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Pain Modifiers
- Tricyclic Antidepressants
- Tricyclic Anticonvulsant
Indications Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Interstitial Cystitis
- Irritable Bowel
- Chronic Prostatitis
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of the World
Reasons for the study
- The study assesses the dynamics and movement of the global visceral pain market across various geographies
- While studying the global visceral pain market, we observed lucrative demand from developing countries such as India, Japan, China among others
- The market is consolidated and major players have their presence across the globe. The companies as well as research institutes are concentrating on studies to enhance technological advancements to meet the global demand.
What does the report include?
- The report focuses on visceral pain market on the basis of therapeutics and indications.
- The study on the global visceral pain market includes qualitative factors such as pipeline analysis, drivers, restraints and opportunities.
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of component, end users and region. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
- The report on the global visceral pain market is suitable for all the players across the value chain including healthcare companies and technology manufacturers
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the global visceral pain market
- Consultants, analysts, researcher, and academicians looking for insights shaping the global visceral pain market