Global Styrene-Butadiene Rubber (SBR) market is anticipated to reach 4.9 USD billion by 2025. The increase in manufacturing of tires has been a significant factor in the growth of the styrene butadiene rubber price trend and the rubber market. With over 70% consumption in the manufacture of tires, the automotive sector is the primary driver of the SB market.
Styrene butadiene rubber (SBR), a synthetic rubber produced from a copolymer of styrene and butadiene. The growth of the synthetic butadiene rubber industry due to it being the largest produced material among other synthetic rubber and also exceeding all other synthetic rubber consumption. SBR replaces the consumption of natural rubber in many applications simply due to the economic advantages held by the former over natural rubber. The SBR properties include excellent abrasion resistance, better aging feature, and crack resistance. Unlike natural rubber, SBR tends to harden with age due to the increased interlinking of polymer chains brought about by oxidation. These features determine the extensive usage of SBR in tire treads. One of the first industrial general-purpose rubbers was styrene butadiene rubber (SBR). It has held a leading position among all forms of synthetic rubber due to its universal properties, and its proportion in the general consumption of synthetic rubbers is 36–37%.
Styrene Butadiene Rubber (SBR) Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 4.9 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 10% during 2021-2028|
|Segment Covered||Product Types, Application, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, South America|
|Key Players Profiled||China National Petroleum Corporation, Kumho Petrochemical Co., Ltd, Asahi Kasei Corporation, Sumitomo Chemical Company, ZEON Corporation, Trinseo S.A., LANXESS Aktiengesellschaft, Bridgestone Corporation, JSR Corporation, and The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company amongst others.|
Key segments of the global styrene butadiene rubber (SBR) market
Application Overview, 2015 - 2025 (Kilo Tons)(USD Million)(Kilo Tons)
- Tire Manufacturing
- Polymer Modification
Product Type Type Overview, 2015 - 2025 (Kilo Tons)(USD Million)(Kilo Tons)
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (Kilo Tons)(USD Million)(Kilo Tons)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Central and South America
- Rest of Central and South America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global SBR market industry
- The consumption of synthetic rubber as a substitute for natural rubber has increased globally. Emulsion SBR held the largest share in terms of consumption. However, improvements in solution SBR manufacturing processes has accelerated the demand for this segment.
- Asia pacific, the largest consumer of SBR is expected to show mixed demand in the fourth quarter of 2018. Asia as a key export market has been a less attractive destination to send product as the market has been continual weighed down by the natural rubber prices. The export market is unclear due to the lackluster demand in Asia.
What does the report include?
- The study on the global styrene butadiene rubber market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities
- Additionally, the market has been evaluated using the value chain and Porter’s Five Forces’ analysis
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of type, application and region. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the styrene butadiene rubber battery industry. The report will benefit:
- Executives of styrene butadiene rubber manufacturing companies that are engaged in the supplying material to tire manufacturers, adhesive manufacturers
- Managers within financial institutions looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics pertaining to styrene butadiene rubber
- Venture capitalist looking into investing capital
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers and financial organizations looking for innovative solutions
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies.
Specifications for the automotive tires industry have significantly changed in recent years. The safety of travel, fuel economy and environmental health are of great importance. The rubbers used in the tire industry contain or are made of the medium and high content of solution-polymerized SBR, meeting the requirements. The styrene butadiene rubber (SBR) solution provides tires with a rare combination of good wet road keeping and low rolling resistance. This is why Solution-polymerized styrene butadiene rubber (s-SBR) has slowly begun to replace classic emulsion styrene-butadiene rubber (e-SBR) in the manufacture of tires.
China has become the world's largest producer with a 63.3% of total market share and also the consumer of SBR due to the growing demand in the tire, mechanical rubber goods (MRG), and construction and footwear industries. Over the past decade, SBR production capacity in China has risen more than fourfold. On average, e-SBR is produced by ten companies while s-SBR is produced by five companies. The capacity of the s-SBR is about 41.4% of the total capacity of the SBR.
The increasing demand from the automotive industry for high-performance tires has had a significant impact on the growth of the market. Tire manufacturers have to face stringent requirements and rigorous quality checks that have made it difficult to find a replacement for SBR. Automotive manufacturers are focusing on enhancing the vehicle performance to reduce fuel consumption brought about by ingenious changes to the tire structures, as well as to the tire tread, which comes in contact with the road. The use of SBR in producing tire treads has made it possible to achieve higher gripping capabilities, thereby improving the performance of the tires. The consumption of SBR by the automotive industry is expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
Emulsion styrene-butadiene rubber (e-SBR) and Solution styrene butadiene rubber (SBR) are the key product segments of the global market. Each process makes it possible to produce SBR with different characteristics and properties. Solution styrene butadiene rubber (s-SBR) has a narrow molecular weight distribution, less branching in the chain, is lighter in color, and has a low content of non-rubber substance by comparison with Emulsion SBR rubber. Solution styrene butadiene rubber (s-SBR) has better abrasion resistance, better flexibility and the ability to recover after deformation, and a lower heat generation than e-SBR rubber; their tensile strength, elongation at break, and cost are comparable.
SBR is polymerized either in an emulsion process under the presence of free radical core or a solution process under anionic conditions. The emulsion styrene butadiene rubber market continues its dominance over solution styrene butadiene rubber, being the majorly produced SBR grade globally. e-SBR is cost-effective as it is manufactured on a continuous process, and it has better processing properties. Emulsion SBR is widely used as tire tread polymers as it offers superior workability among other synthetic materials as well as exhibits high gripping force on the road under wet conditions. The growing demand for emulsion SBR for non-tire uses such as drive couplings, haul-off pads, shoe soles and heels, adhesives and conveyor belts has assisted the growth of this segment in the global market.
The growth of the SBR market has driven the increase in demand for SBR in the tire industry, which accounts for over 75% of the world consumption. The International Rubber Study Group (IRSG) analysts ' projections and the major producers of tires point to stable growth and strong demand for new cars and tires. China accounts for a large proportion of growth in demand, and India for a smaller proportion, and a time of great potential will usually stretch to 2020 for all tire manufacturers.
Asia Pacific exhibited the largest consumption demand for SBR, with China dominating the consumption share of styrene butadiene rubber. The large volume of automobiles present in the APAC region has presented the manufacturers of SBR with tremendous revenue-generating opportunities. The high grip tire consisting of treads made of SBR is the main factor that is propelling the SBR market. The supply of SBR in this region is estimated to improve with manufacturing plants ramping up their operating rates due to the availability of cheaper feedstock butadiene. Deep-sea supplies headed to Asia from Europe are also expected to increase the supply of SBR. The demand for SBR is expected to strengthen in India and Southeast Asia on restocking activities ahead of the festive season in the fourth quarter of 2018.