The global squalene market size was estimated worth USD 137.2 million in 2017 and is projected to witness noteworthy growth over the forecast period. Overall, high demand from end-use segments is projected to propel the global squalene market size over the forecast period.
Global Squalene Market Size, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
Squalene is a natural lipid found in vegetable oils such as olive oil, wheat germ oil, rice bran oil, sugarcane, and in deep-sea shark liver oil. Squalene finds wide application in cosmetics and personal care industry owing to its antioxidant properties, skin rejuvenation and is regarded as the best emollient. Squalene is found is several personal care products such as skin moisturizers, face creams, face oil, anti-acne, anti-aging creams, and hair oils among others. It is also used as a supplement in food products and pharmaceutical industry owing to its anti-carcinogen and immune boosting properties.
Squalene is a natural polyunsaturated oil which is found in various plant oils such as olive oil, amaranth oil, and palm oil among others. It is also found in the human body as sebum which is present under skin tissues as a lipid. It provides the required moisture to the body along with protecting the skin from UV radiations. Squalene content is found highest in young age which decreases with increasing age. Furthermore, squalene is a natural antioxidant which prevents excessive cell growth. Hence, squalene is a non-proven substance known to reduce the risk of cancer. It is also used to treat arthritis and psoriasis among other skin disorders. As squalene is a nutrient-rich natural substance, it is used as a food supplement in the food industry.
Traditionally, shark liver oil has been the major source for squalene as the liver comprises the significant weight of the animal. The concentration of squalene in deep-sea sharks can be as high as 96% in the liver that is high in nutrients such as Vitamin A and D, alkylglycerols and omega 3 fatty acids. Owing to these factors, shark liver oils were predominantly adopted by the manufacturers till the aquatic animal came to the brink of extinction. Hence, natural alternative sources for obtaining squalene are now adopted by the manufacturers so as to reduce the dependence on animal-based squalene.
Olive oil is the major source of vegetable oil based squalene adopted widely across the US and Europe owing to stringent regulations regarding targeted fishing of deep sea sharks. However, such regulations are relatively relaxed in Asia Pacific owing to which pure shark oil as a well-blended mix of natural and synthetic sources is adopted in the region. The lower price of shark liver oil as compared to vegetable oil is also a major factor to continue the consumption in Asia Pacific. Globally, consumption of vegetable-based squalene has increased which accounts for over 50% of the global squalene market size.
Squalene is regarded as one of the finest emollients that are known for its enriching properties. Squalene, when hydrogenated, produces squalane, which contains most of the properties of squalene coupled with enhanced stability. Skin and beauty experts laud the properties of squalene as a natural moisturizer as it creates a barrier between the environment and the skin, thus, retaining the natural moisture. Furthermore, it protects the skin from free radicals and UV rays, which damage skin’s natural collagen. Hence, owing to immense benefits of squalene on skincare, it is found in several moisturizers, face creams and is a prominent ingredient in anti-aging creams.
Global Squalene Market Share, By End Use, 2017 (%)
Personal care & cosmetics industry is witnessing a major shift in consumer demand which is considered as the future growth driver. The rapid shift from conventional to nature-based products is the key trend observed across the globe. Increasing consumer awareness along with higher consumer spending power is driving the demand for natural cosmetics. Hence, these are some key factors that are influencing the global squalene market trends over the forecast period. Cosmetics segment accounted for over 64% share in the global squalene market size.
Europe dominated the global squalene market size with demand at 1.08 kilo tons in 2017. North America and Europe together accounted for more than 50% of the global squalene market size. High consumer spending on natural products coupled with greater demand for a variety of products is driving the squalene market demand. Asia Pacific is anticipated to witness remarkable growth owing to increasing disposable income in the region. Amyris, Inc., Arista Industries, EFPBIOTEK, Nucelis, SOPHIM, Kishimoto Special Liver Oil Co. Ltd. are some of the key players that account for a significant share in the global squalene market.
Squalene Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 292.6 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 10.6% during 2021-2028|
|Segment Covered||Source , End Use , Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Central & South America , Middle East and Africa|
|Key Players Profiled||Amyris, Inc., Arista Industries, EFPBIOTEK, Nucelis, SOPHIM, Kishimoto Special Liver Oil Co. Ltd.|
Key segments of the global squalene market
Source Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million) (Tons)
- Vegetable based
- Animal based
- Natural & Synthetic Blend
End Use Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million) (Tons)
- Food products
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million) (Tons)
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Rest of Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the squalene market at global scale
- We have been studying the products derived from sharks, especially shark liver oil which has been the key source of squalene from many years
- However, squalene is now also derived from vegetable sources such as olive oil and sugarcane which is increasingly adopted by the companies in the U.S. and Europe
- Squalene is rich in omega 2 due to which it is widely adopted for beauty products, hence the market is witnessing high boom from the personal care industry segment
What does the report include?
- The study on the global squalene market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, opportunities, regulatory framework and price trend analysis
- Additionally, the market has been evaluated using the value chain and Porter’s Five Forces’ analysis
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of source, end use, region (and country).
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the squalene industry, who want an in-depth insight into the developments in the squalene market. The report will benefit:
- Squalene manufacturers (from shark oil and vegetable oil), suppliers and independent consultants that are engaged in squalene production or play a role in the supply chain
- Managers within financial institutions looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics pertaining to squalene market
- Venture capitalist looking into investing capital in the industry
- Government organizations, regulatory bodies, policymakers and organizations looking for enhancing their policies and services pertaining to squalene industry
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies