The global polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films market size for water soluble applications was valued at USD 278.5 million in 2017 owing to its wide range of applications in packaging products including detergent, agrochemical packaging, laundry bags, pet waste and embroidery among others. Sustainable packaging solutions are witnessing huge demand as a result of diminishing landfill resources leading to stringent legislative pressure to curb the usage of these resources. The shift in the consumer preference towards biodegradable products and technological advancement in PET bottles is anticipated to positively impact the global polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films market share over the forecast period.
Global Water Soluble Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) Films Market Volume and Value, 2015-2025 (Tons) (USD Million)
Polyvinyl alcohol is a water-soluble synthetic polymer which is biodegradable; hence it is used to make biodegradable and water-soluble carriers. This expands its applicability to industries such as manufacturing of delivery systems for chemicals such as fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides. In addition to its water solubility, it is highly resistant to the majority of other solvents, oils and greases. PVA films exhibit excellent emulsifying, film-forming and adhesive properties. It also acts as an excellent oxygen and aroma barrier and has high tensile strength and flexibility. These characteristics make it useful for numerous industrial processes, biomedical and pharmaceutical industries. Other emerging applications of PVA films are food packaging and water transfer printing.
Agrochemical packaging segment was valued at USD 81.7 million in 2017 driven by the increased use of pesticides, insecticides, fertilizers, and other chemicals to produce a high yield in the agricultural sector. The water-soluble, biodegradable, and low-toxic nature of polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films are the factors escalating their demand for agrochemical packaging.
Furthermore, embroidery segment is projected to provide lucrative growth opportunities at a revenue CAGR of 5.5% over the forecast period. Embroidery has become a traditional art of decoration, painting and sarees. In addition, many antiques with polyvinyl films are preserved. PVA film is used as a fixer and provides stability in delicate textile embroidery. The demand for polyvinyl alcohol films is witnessing a rise in the field of embroidery for aesthetic appearance, thereby, positively affecting the growth of polyvinyl alcohol films market.
The global polyvinyl alcohol films market for polarizer applications was valued at USD 7.3 billion in 2017. Polarizer PVA films find applications in LCD panels, sunglasses, lenses and optical fibers among others. Growing consumer electronics market is expected to supplement the industry growth over the forecast period.
Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) Films Market For Polarizing Application, 2015-2025 (Million Square Meters) (USD Billion)
South Korea, Japan, Taiwan and China are the countries that consume polarizer PVA films. Polarizer PVA films market in China was valued at USD 332.7 million in 2017 and is projected to be the fastest growing country during the forecast period. This growth in China is assisted by the increased demand for LCDs which has propelled the for PVA films market.
Asia Pacific accounted for more than 20% of both, volume and revenue share, in 2017 in the global polyvinyl alcohol films market. The growing detergent market in emerging economies such as India and China is likely to propel the PVA films market over the forecast period. The growth of the hospitality industry in this region has boosted the demand for detergents, which has PVA films as its packaging material.
Also, the booming agriculture sector in the region is likely to propel the market growth in this region during the forecast period. Furthermore, the rising awareness of green packaging is another major driver in the growth of the global polyvinyl alcohol films market. Governments of various countries are promoting the use of sustainable packaging materials. Increasing population, the disposable income of people has increased the standard of living which has aggravated the demand for laundry bags across the region.
The global polyvinyl alcohol films market is highly fragmented owing to the presence of numerous vendors. Changzhou Water Soluble Co. Ltd., AICELLO CORPORATION, MonoSol, LLC, Nippon Gohsei, Kuraray Co. Ltd., Sekisui Specialty Chemicals, AMC (UK) Ltd. and Arrow GreenTech Ltd. are some of the key players operating in the market. Investment is one of the key initiatives adopted by key players to expand their geographical presence. For instance, in March 2018, MonoSol LLC invested USD 72 million in Indiana film plant.
Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) Films Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 11.45 billion|
|Segment Covered||Application, Polarizer PVA Films Regions, Water Soluble PVA Films Regions, Key Players|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa|
|Key Players Profiled||AICELLO CORPORATION, MonoSol, LLC, Changzhou Water Soluble Co.Ltd., Kuraray Co. Ltd., Sekisui Specialty Chemicals, Nippon Gohsei, AMC (UK) Ltd., and Arrow GreenTech Ltd. among others.|
Key segments of the global polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films market
Application Overview, 2015-2025 (Tons) (USD Million)
- Water Soluble
- Detergent Packaging
- Consumer Detergents
- Industrial Detergents
- Agrochemical Packaging
- Laundry Bags
- LCD Panels
- Others (including sunglasses, optical filters etc.)
Water Soluble PVA Films Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (Tons) (USD Million)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of the World
Polarizer PVA Films Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (Million square meters) (USD Million)
- South Korea
Key Players analysed in the report include
- AICELLO CORPORATION
- Changzhou Water Soluble Co., Ltd.
- MonoSol, LLC.
- Kuraray Co. Ltd.
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films market
- While studying the market, we observed that stearoyl lactylates segment is projected to grow at the fastest rate owing to its widespread application.
- The Global polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films market has been mainly driven by the increased demand for healthy and natural food products.
- The convenience foods segment is projected to witness fastest growth in the coming years due to changing lifestyle patterns and growing awareness regarding the products.
What does the report include?
- The study on the Global polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, trends, and opportunities
- Additionally, the market has been evaluated using the value chain analysis and Porter’s Five Forces’ analysis and PESTEL analysis
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of type and application.
- The report provides a deep-dive data analysis for all the end-use segment.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or country presence
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the global polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films market, who want an in-depth insight into the movement of the global polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films market. The report will benefit:
- Executives of global polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films companies that are engaged in the emulsifiers manufacturing and servicing
- Managers within financial institutions looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics pertaining to global polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films market
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the Global polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films market
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers and financial organizations looking for innovative solutions for producing polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies