The global nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectrometer market was valued at USD 1.8 billion in 2017. Growing investments in biomedical industry and increasing demand of instruments for personalized medicines are the major factors accelerating the nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer market growth.
NMR spectrometer forms the largest segment in the molecular spectrometer market, including IR, Near-IR, UV-Vis and Raman spectrometer. NMR Spectrometer, is a valuable tool in identifying unknown chemical compounds as it provides detailed information regarding the relative amount of each component, the intramolecular connectivity of these components, as well as the evidence of individual building blocks within a molecule. Moreover, complex electronics required to examine the sample and detect the signal is the biggest part of the expense, additionally in superconducting NMR spectrometers, where cryogen containment is insulated with liquid nitrogen it adds to the cost. It is also important that a trained person operates NMR, as magnetic field hazards may take place. Thus, high instrument cost and lack of skilled labor may hinder the NMR spectrometer market growth.
Growing investments in biomedical industry with its major application on NMR spectrometer will boost the global NMR spectrometer market share in the foreseeable years. NMR spectrometer is widely used in biomedical research to study molecular dynamics, molecular interactions, identify molecules, determine structure and function of important biological molecules, identification of abnormal metabolites as the biomarkers for specific diseases, study of drugs and the interactions with their targets and diagnosis of diseases by imaging specific tissues and organs. In metabolomics, NMR is primarily used to study intermediates or final products of different biochemical reactions taking place in a biological system. For instance, NMR is used to identify and screen various potential biomarkers in Alzheimer’s disease. One important metabolic change is the depletion of N-acetyl-L-aspartate, which occurs well before the appearance of the clinical symptoms. Alzheimer, is also the 6th leading cause of death in the U.S; thus the U.S National Plan, originated in 2012, establishes goals to both prevent future cases of Alzheimer's disease and related dementias. With this initiative, the government is investing highly in research and development activities to tackle Alzheimer.
With the advent of personalized medicines, the NMR spectrometer market is gaining more insights which generates high quality spectral data. This high quality spectral data identifies and preserves various biomarker patters of individuals, used to study genotype-phenotype correlogram which is used to treat patients individually. For instance, most of the characteristics of the Avance III HD NanoBay NMR device from Bruker, are suitable for its use in personalized medicine. Furthermore, the European Commission is investing over €80 billion through the grant program Horizon 2020, for innovative, best among-their-peer projects, in the period 2014-2020. Innovation in personalized medicine has been actively supported through this grant support with a focus on improving both efficacy and efficiency in European healthcare.
Mobile data connectivity for the analysis of NMR spectrometer, is an upcoming trend in NMR spectrometer market that will provide instant access to data analysis and reports. With the support of IoT, customers can exchange and analyze data remotely from a centralized location. Thus, these improvised features and functionalities of NMR spectrometers, are projected to become more prominent in laboratories with the advent of IoT when remote diagnosis comes into play in the analytical sector.
Based on end user, the nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer market is segmented into biotechnology & pharmaceutical industries, chemical & petrochemical industries, food & agriculture industries and academics. The Biotechnology & pharmaceutical industries is anticipated to account for the major market share in the nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer market during the forecast period. Strict scientific requirements and rigorous government regulation will drive the global nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer market in these industries.
The top global NMR spectrometer market vendors include Bruker Corporation, Nanalysis, JEOL Ltd. Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. and more. The NMR spectrometer is a consolidated market; due to the presence of few well-established players and brand loyalty. The industry is less competitive and increases profit potential for the existing firms. Region wise, Asia Pacific is expected to grow at the highest pace in the foreseeable years due to progressive healthcare systems. In Asia, India is the largest provider of generic drugs globally. With India becoming a location for new drug development, growth is also seen for technologies that support its expanding pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, which will propel the NMR spectrometer market growth in the near future.
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectrometer Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 2.7 billion|
|Segment Covered||Type, End User, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Central & South America, Middle East & Africa|
|Key Players Profiled||Bruker Corporation, Nanalysis, JEOL Ltd. and Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.|
Key segments of the global NMR spectrometer market
Type Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million)
- Benchtop NMR spectrometers
- Superconducting NMR spectrometers
End User Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million)
- Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical industries
- Chemical & Petrochemical industries
- Food & Agriculture industries
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global NMR spectrometer market.
- Increasing use of hyphenated technology and demand for personalized medicines are increasing the use of NMR spectrometers.
- Stringent regulatory laws and unprecedented level of innovation in the biotechnology & pharmaceutical industries is accelerating the use of NMR spectrometers.
- Increasing government initiatives to provide better healthcare facilities in Asia Pacific region will boost the NMR spectrometer market.
What does the report include?
- The study on the global NMR spectrometer market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints and opportunities
- Additionally, the market has been evaluated using the value chain and Porter’s Five Forces’ analysis
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of type, end user and region. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence.
Who should buy this report?
- The report on the global NMR spectrometer market is suitable for all the players across the value chain including raw material suppliers, manufactures, distributors and service providers.
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the global NMR spectrometer market
- Consultants, analysts, researchers and academicians looking for insights shaping the global NMR spectrometer market.