The global glucuronolactone market size was valued at USD 268.7 million in 2017. Glucuronolactone is a naturally occurring molecule which finds significant usage across the beverage industry in the form of energy drinks.
Global Glucuronolactone Market Size, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
Glucuronolactone also finds application in the pharmaceutical industry where it is used in drugs prescribed for curing hepatocirrhosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and food & drug poisoning among others. Changing consumer behavior is the key factor driving the global glucuronolactone market growth. Growth in overall consumer spending is also projected to fuel the demand for energy drinks and thus, the global glucuronolactone market size during the forecast period.
Glucuronolactone is a naturally occurring molecule in the human body which contributes to the structure of connective tissues. D-glucurono-3,6-lactone, the chemical name of glucuronolactone, regulates glucose formation. Glucuronolactone is among the main precursor for the synthesis of vitamin C and is detoxicant. It also combines with toxins in the human body to form water-soluble compounds that can be removed through urine. Glucuronolactone is known to have positive effects on the body such as improving attention and increase focus levels when combined with other substance.
Owing to its positive effects on the human body, such as increasing physical performance while supporting recovery and rebound after exertion, glucuronolactone is widely used across energy drinks. Energy drinks are beverages designed to give a spontaneous energy boost to the body. Most common ingredients of an energy drink include caffeine, sugars, amino acids, vitamin B and glucuronolactone. The content of glucuronolactone in most of the energy drinks varies between 2000-2400 mg/L which is several hundred times higher than the intake through a normal diet. The potential side effects of excessive intake of glucuronolactone are still unknown, however, excessive consumption of energy drinks is known to cause increased heart rate, anxiety, and blood pressure.
Apart from beverages, glucuronolactone is also used in diet supplementary food (bodybuilding supplement) in form of powders and tablets for boosting energy during body training and workout. It is also used in personal care and healthcare products, in skin conditioning and protection. Glucuronolactone is used in the formation of drugs that are applied for the treatment of hepatocirrhosis, hepatitis, and arthritis among others. D-Glucuronolactone is also used in animal and poultry feed.
Global Glucuronolactone Market Share By Region, 2017 (%)
The global glucuronolactone market size is driven by an increasing usage across its end use industries such as food & beverage and pharmaceutical sector. Food & beverage is the key end-use segment that accounts for over 55% of the global glucuronolactone market share in 2017. The growth in this segment is attributed to the wide usage of glucuronolactone in energy drinks. Over the past few years, the demand for these functional beverages has been increasing rapidly. This demand growth in energy drinks can be attributed to factors such as changing consumer behavior for adopting new products and a rise in demand for convenience foods. Rapid urbanization has significantly changed consumer preferences which are now shifting towards products which provide an instant energy boost. The rise in disposable incomes across developing countries is also a key factor to drive the demand for convenience food & beverage products. Apart from food & beverage, increasing usage in the presently booming pharmaceutical industry is also projected to increase the consumption of glucuronolactone over the forecast period.
The global glucuronolactone industry analysis shows that North America dominated the glucuronolactone consumption closely followed by Asia Pacific. Consumption of glucuronolactone in North America is attributed to high product penetration in the market. Asia Pacific is projected to show rapid growth as rapid urbanization in China and India are leading to a lifestyle as well as consumer mindset change. Also, China is also one of the major producers of glucuronolactone with the presence of a large number of established players. Shaoxing Marina Biotechnology Co. Ltd., Merck Millipore Corporation, Hubei Yitai Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd., and Aceto Corporation are some of the key players that hold a significant position in the global glucuronolactone market.
Glucuronolactone Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 360 million|
|Segment Covered||End use, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East and Africa|
|Key Players Profiled||Shaoxing Marina Biotechnology Co. Ltd., Hubei Yitai Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd., Merck Millipore Corporation, and Aceto Corporation.|
Key segments of the global glucuronolactone market
End use Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Food & Beverages
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the glucuronolactone industry
- We have been following the beverage industry from quite some time, especially the energy drinks segment of which glucuronolactone is an essential ingredient
- Changing lifestyle of the consumers is among the key factor to drive the demand for energy drinks across the globe, hence fueling the demand for glucuronolactone.
- Growing usage of glucuronolactone across pharmaceutical sector for treatment of hepatocirrhosis, rheumatoid arthritis among others is also projected to fuel the demand for glucuronolactone over the forecast period.
What does the report include?
- The study on the global glucuronolactone market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities
- Additionally, the market has been evaluated using the value chain, Porter’s Five Forces’ analysis and PESTEL analysis
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of end use and region (and country).
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the glucuronolactone industry, who want an in-depth insight into the developments in the glucuronolactone market. The report will benefit:
- Glucuronolactone manufacturers and related raw material manufacturers, suppliers and independent consultants that are engaged in manufacturing or play a role in the supply chain
- Managers within financial institutions looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics pertaining to glucuronolactone industry
- Venture capitalist looking into investing capital in the industry
- Government organizations, regulatory bodies, policymakers and organizations looking for enhancing their policies and services pertaining to glucuronolactone industry
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies