The global endometriosis market size was worth USD 1.90 billion in 2017 and is expected to grow on account of an increasing number of patients across the globe, specifically in regions such as North America and Europe. In 2015, 1.8 billion women within the age group 15 to 49 years received treatment, globally.
Global Endometriosis Market Size, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
Ease of availability of treatment options post diagnosis coupled with increasing awareness regarding symptoms and diagnosis of endometriosis is expected to drive the global endometriosis treatment market growth in the coming years. Furthermore, the increasing female population within the reproductive age in developed as well as developing economies is expected to increase the incidence rate over the forecast period creating a huge potential for treatment providers and drug manufacturers.
At present, the low awareness regarding the diagnosis of the condition has resulted in the majority of the women not receiving proper treatment of endometriosis. However, the development of new techniques for efficient diagnostic is expected to increase awareness, resulting in a growing uptake of treatment. For instance, Heather Bowerman from DotLab is working on introducing the noninvasive technique of diagnosis named as DotEndo. The technique identifies endometriosis specific biomarkers known as microRNA’s which are tiny non-coding RNA’s that function in post-transcriptional regulation of gene expression. Such interventions are expected to drive the global endometriosis diagnosis market over the forecast period.
On the other hand, various pipeline research projects for a proper diagnosis as well as treatment is expected to improve the current market situation in the near future. The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research initiated Research OutSmarts Endometriosis (ROSE) program to study the role of genetics in endometriosis. This study is expected to help researchers build accurate tests for diagnosis. Furthermore, U.S. FDA Approval of ORILISSA (elagolix) in July 2018 for endometriosis-related pain is also expected to fuel the global endometriosis drugs market growth in the coming years.
In terms of drug type, NSAID’s dominated the global endometriosis market exceeding a revenue share of 35% as they are the most popular first line of treatment for pain management, post-diagnosis. Availability of a variety of drugs under the category coupled with effective analgesic activity for the treatment is expected to fuel the segment growth in the coming years. Availability of NSAID’s without prescription is also one of the major factors for the segment growth as well as market dominance.
Global Endometriosis Drugs Market, 2017 (%)
Oral contraceptive pills segment is expected to show lucrative growth over the forecast period at a 2.4% CAGR. OTC accessibility of the tablets coupled with the availability of a wide range of products within the market are the major factors driving the segment growth. Contraceptives with high progestogenic and androgenic values tend to suppress endometrial growth compared to other products available within the market.
On the basis of region, North America dominated the global endometriosis market share by contributing to over 55% of the revenues generates in 2017 and is expected to maintain its dominance over the next seven years. High prevalence rate, of up to 10%, within the U.S. coupled with the well-established medial infrastructure to provide treatment to diagnosed women is expected to drive the regional growth in the coming years.
High treatment cost coupled with increasing consumer awareness within the region is expected to fuel the regional endometriosis market growth during the forecast period. According to the US Health Department, endometriosis affects more than 11% of the female population within the U.S. between the age group of 15-44. Such high prevalence rate is one of the major drivers for regional dominance.
The global endometriosis market is marked by the presence of a large pool of well-established pharmaceutical giants. Key players within the market include AstraZeneca, Bayer AG, Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc., and Meditrina Pharmaceuticals Inc. among others. The global endometriosis market is characterized by various research institutes performing individual research to obtain novel techniques of diagnosis.
Endometriosis Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 2.29 billion|
|Segment Covered||Drug Type , Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Rest of the World|
|Key Players Profiled||manufacturers such as AstraZeneca, Bayer AG, Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc., Meditrina Pharmaceuticals Inc. and many more,|
Key segments of the global endometriosis market
Drug Type Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million)
- Gonadotropins Releasing Hormone agonists
- Oral contraceptive pills
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million)
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of the World
Reasons for the study
- The study assesses the dynamics and movement of the global endometriosis market across various geographies
- While studying the global endometriosis market, we observed lucrative demand from countries such as the U.S., Germany, Italy, and Japan.
- The market is fragmented and major players have their presence across the globe. The companies as well as research institutes are concentrating on studies to develop novel diagnostic techniques as a strategic step to meet the global demand.
What does the report include?
- The report focuses on endometriosis market on the basis of drug type.
- The study on the global endometriosis market includes qualitative factors such as pipeline analysis, drivers, and restraints
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of drug type. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
- The report on the global endometriosis market is suitable for all the players across the value chain including pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the global endometriosis market
- Consultants, analysts, researcher, and academicians looking for insights shaping the global endometriosis market