In today's world, electronic displays are becoming more and more prevalent in a wide variety of applications. Electronic Paper Display (EPD) technology is no exception, and this article will explore the various types of EPDs, their uses, and the current state of the market for them.
Drivers of the Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market
1. Increasing demand for low power consumption displays: EPDs are ideal for display applications that require low power consumption and long battery life. This has led to increasing demand from consumer electronics, automotive, retail, and industrial applications.
2. Low cost of production and materials: Compared to other display technologies, such as LCDs or OLEDs, the cost of producing EPDs is relatively low due to the lower costs associated with materials and components used in their manufacture.
3. Growing demand for electronic books: The growth of electronic book readers has created a growing demand for EPD technology due to its superior readability even in direct sunlight, lightweight design and low power consumption capabilities.
4. Technological advancements: Technological advancements like flexible displays have further boosted the growth of the Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market as they can be used in a variety of innovative applications such as wearable devices and smart cards among others.
Advantages of the Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market
1. Low power consumption: EPDs require significantly less energy to operate than traditional displays, allowing for longer battery life and lower energy costs.
2. Durability: EPDs are made from a durable flexible plastic that is resistant to scratches and impacts, making them well-suited for use in harsh environments.
3. High contrast: The display technology produces a high level of contrast between the background and the text or images, making it easier to read in bright light conditions.
4. Cost effectiveness: EPDs are more cost effective than other types of displays due to their low manufacturing costs, long lifespans, and low power consumption.
5. Versatility: EPDs can be used in a variety of applications, including digital signage, handheld devices such as e-readers, and consumer electronics such as TVs and monitors.
Market Value and CAGR of the Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market (2021-2032)
The market value and CAGR of the Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market is expected to reach USD 6.11 billion by 2032, with a CAGR of 8.4% from 2021 to 2032.
EPD technology is expected to witness substantial growth over the forecast period owing to increasing demand for flexible displays, rising adoption of digital signage, and growing applications in e-reader devices. Furthermore, development of advanced technologies such as multi-layer display and folding display are driving the market growth. The increasing focus on energy efficiency in electronic devices has resulted in the development of low power consuming LCDs and OLEDs which are further augmenting the demand for EPDs.
Challenges of the Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market
1. High Cost: Despite its advantages, the high cost of EPDs is a major challenge. This makes them unsuitable for applications requiring low-cost solutions.
2. Low refresh rate and slow response time: The refresh rate of EPDs is significantly slower than other display solutions like LCDs, making them unsuitable for dynamic images and videos. In addition, their response time is also very slow, which can be an issue in certain applications.
3. Limited colour range: The limited colour range of EPD displays can be a problem in applications that require full-colour displays such as gaming or multimedia applications.
4. Limited Operating Temperature Range: The operating temperature range of EPDs is quite limited compared to other display solutions such as LCDs or OLEDs. This makes them unsuitable for use in extreme temperatures such as those found in automotive or industrial applications.
Key players of the Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market
The key players of the Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market are E Ink Holdings Inc. (Taiwan), Pervasive Display Inc. (Taiwan), Plastic Logic (Germany), LG Display Co. Ltd. (South Korea), BOE Technology Group Co., Ltd. (China), Epson America Inc. (U.S.), Fujitsu Component Limited (Japan), Cabrios Technologies Corporation (U.S.), Visionist d.o.o. (Slovenia) and Holst Centre/TNO (Netherlands).
Market analysis into type, application, end user and region of Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market
The most demanded product of the Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market is expected to be the type of E Ink displays. These displays are known for their low power consumption and grid-like display capabilities.
The application that is likely to hold the highest demand for these displays is in consumer electronics such as e-readers, tablets, smartwatches, etc.
End users for these products are expected to be mostly retailers and consumers who can benefit from its low cost and long battery life capabilities.
Regionally, the Asia Pacific region is expected to be the largest market for EPDs due to its large population and increasing demand for consumer electronics in the region.
Impact of Covid-19 of Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market
The outbreak of coronavirus has impacted the electronic paper display market in multiple ways. Firstly, the lockdown imposed by various governments across the globe has led to the closure of manufacturing plants and disrupted the supply chain of raw materials. This has resulted in a decrease in production levels and a subsequent decline in revenues for manufacturers. Secondly, the demand for electronic paper displays has declined sharply as consumers have deferred their purchase decisions due to economic uncertainty.
Key developments of the Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market
In January,2021, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. announced the development of a new ultra-thin Electronic Paper Display (EPD) panel that is just 0.3mm thick, which is thinner than conventional EPD panels and provides a more immersive display experience.
In November, 2020, Vision ox Technology Co., Ltd. announced the launch of its new electronic paper display with a wide colour gamut for enhanced image clarity and sharpness in outdoor applications.
In October, 2020, E Ink Holdings Inc. announced the launch of its new ultra-low power Electronic Paper Display (EPD) technology for wearable devices, which offers an improved viewing experience and extended battery life.
In May, 2020, BOE Technology Group Co., Ltd. launched its flexible electronic paper display (EPD) technology for applications such as smart cards and e-readers. The technology provides improved readability in bright light conditions and enables low-power operation for extended battery life.
Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2031||USD 6.11 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 8.4 % during 2021-2031|
|Segment Covered||By Type, By Application, End Users, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, South America|
|Key Players Profiled||E Ink Holdings Inc. (Taiwan), Pervasive Display Inc. (Taiwan), Plastic Logic (Germany), LG Display Co. Ltd. (South Korea), BOE Technology Group Co., Ltd. (China), Epson America Inc. (U.S.), Fujitsu Component Limited (Japan), Cabrios Technologies Corporation (U.S.), Visionist d.o.o. (Slovenia) and Holst Centre/TNO (Netherlands).|
Key Segment of Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market
By Type Overview 2021-2031, (USD Billion)
• 1-3 Inches
• 3.1-6 Inches
• 6.1-10 Inches
• 10 inches
By Application Overview 2021-2031, (USD Billion)
• Electronic self-levels
By End-User Overview 2021-2031, (USD Billion)
• Manufacturing companies
By Region Overview 2021-2031, (USD Billion)
• Rest of Asia Pacific
• Rest of North America
• Rest of Europe
Middle East and Africa