The global e-bike sharing market size was valued at USD 23.83 million in 2017. The significant rise in funding received bike sharing companies to fund expansion and development of e-bikes has led to the exponential growth of the global e-bike sharing market in recent years.
Electric bicycles or e-bikes are an extension of traditional bicycles in which the only difference being an electric motor attached to propel the bicycle. E-bikes are an ecological and urban means of transport with batteries as its source of energy. The rising significance of e-bikes in the 20th century is mainly attributed to its economic advantages, as well as an effective solution for the aggravated issue of urban transportation provision, especially in densely populated cities like China. The global e-bike sharing market is witness a surge in demand due to the economic and environment advantages it has over other ride sharing option available in the market. The economic benefit of e-bikes is reflected in the total cost per kilometre of an e-bike which is less than 0.7 cents, compared to USD 0.037/ km for a fuel powered bike, or USD 0.62/km travelled by a car.
Bike sharing has become the most emerging trend across the world. The change in consumer buying behaviour reflects increased preference for sharing rather than owning bicycles. Furthermore, the bike sharing systems offer low priced, high quality bikes integrated in a dense multimodal network. The combination of these two factors along with the advantages offered by electric bikes have led to the rapid advancement of the global e-bike sharing market and is also expect to exhibit a high growth rate during the forecast period.
Large scale Investments in e-bike sharing vendors are also one of the significant factors contributing to the market growth. Venture capitals have been tracking the increasing popularity of bike sharing and investing heavily in bike sharing start-ups due to absence of barriers to entry for e-bike sharing companies and venture capitalists having cash on free- flow. For instance, California startup Lime (formerly known as LimeBike) raised USD 132 million in funding from a whole slew of investors and is looking to raise up to USD 500 million in additional funding by way of issuing a combination of equity and debt. While the company initially started out with pedal bikes and e-assist bikes, they quickly pivoted into electric scooters alongside their name change at the beginning of May 2018, with 18-mph scooters built by Segway.
On the basis of industry, e-bike sharing for public use is expected to hold the largest share, constituting more than 95% of the overall market. The rising demand for e-bike sharing market is mainly driven by the rising health consciousness among consumers. People prefer to travel to their work places or make shot trips for running errands on bicycles. The introduction of electrically propelled bicycles have presented the consumers with the convenient option of cycling without having to physically exert themselves to a large extent. The consumer behaviour is inclined towards sharing rather than owning e-bikes. All these factors combined, have led to large scale demand for e-bike sharing for public use. Therefore, a large number of e-bike sharing operators for public have emerged in countries all over the world in order to take leverage on the large-scale availability of demand for the e-bike sharing service.
The global e-bike sharing market analysis on the basis of geographical segmentation, positions Asia Pacific as the largest market for e-bike sharing companies in 2017. This region occupies more than 55% of the overall market, and China is the leading country constituting approximately 56%of the total market in Asia Pacific. China is the biggest market for e-bike sharing primarily due to several new market entrants since 2014. Furthermore, many cities in China do not require the operators to get a licence for running an e-bike sharing program. Heavy investments from private operators in this region, have enabled the e-bike sharing operators to rapidly expand their business globally.
E-Bike Sharing Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 130 million|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of over 18.1% during 2015-2025|
|Segment Covered||Type, Industry, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa, South America|
|Key Players Profiled||BikeMi, Gobike, BeeFly, Mango, Lime, Citi Bike, JUMP, Xiangqi,|
Key segments of the global e-bike sharing market
Type Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million)
- Public Organization & Government
- Private Company
Industry Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million)
- Internal Use
- Public Use
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Southeast Asia
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- South America
- Rest of South America
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global e-bike sharing market industry.
- We have been following the overall segmentation of e-bike sharing especially, the escalated investments in to start ups providing this service. This sector has been gaining immense importance, as a key fragment of the global ride sharing market.
- Robust expansion of e-bike sharing services are expected to take place in North America with the number of working professional opting for bike sharing services to commute to and fro from their workplace.
- A new bike-share model began rising in Asia in 2015, particularly China, driven by the confluence of several technologies. With the proliferation of consumer-ready mobile payments, IoT, and mature GPS technology, costs to build remote locking and tracking systems plummeted, allowing bike-share operators to build dockless systems. The dockless bike-sharing has become a notable example of a tech trend sweeping primarily from the East to Western markets.
What does the report include?
- The study on the global e-bike sharing market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities
- Additionally, the market has been evaluated using the value chain and Porter’s Five Forces’ analysis
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of type, industry and region. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the e-bike sharing industry. The report will benefit:
- Manufacturers of e-bikes.
- Executives of battery manufacturing companies that are engaged in production and distribution of lithium ion batteries for e-bikes
- Managers within financial institutions looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics pertaining to e-bike sharing business model
- Venture capitalist looking into investing capital
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers and financial organizations looking for innovative solutions
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies