The global citric acid market demand was 1,977 kilo tons in 2017. Growing demand from the food & beverage industry is one of the key driving factors for propelling the global citric acid market size. Furthermore, positive growth trends in detergents and pharmaceutical industries are projected to further escalate the citric acid market.
Citric acid is a weak organic acid that finds applications across various industries such as food & beverages, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics along with usage in metal finishing and in industrial & printing applications. Citric acid is a white crystalline organic compound that belongs to the family of carboxylic acid. It is a naturally occurring compound in plants and animal tissues. Citric acid is a natural food preservative that imparts sour or acidic flavor to soft drinks and food. It is produced by submerged fermentation of Candida sp. or Aspergillus niger from numerous sources of carbohydrates such as molasses, cane sugar, corn sugar, and beet.
The global Citric Acid market worth USD 9.43 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 5.92%
Owing to its chemical properties, citric acid is suitable for usage in food & beverages. Food & beverage segment accounted for over 50% of the citric acid market. Citric acid is used as an acidulant, flavor enhancer, and preservative. It is also responsible for adjusting pH of the beverage, thereby increasing the shelf life of the final product. Citric acid is also a sequestrant and a buffering agent.
Citric acid is available in various forms and granulations depending upon its application. The global citric acid market trends show that the beverage industry is the top end-use segment. Citric acid and its citrates are extensively used as acidulants, preservatives and flavor enhancers. Soft drinks are one of the largest consumer, which contains up to 0.5% of citric acid. Citric acid is preferred over its counterparts such as phosphoric acid owing to ease of handling and storage. In food products, citric acid and its sodium salts are used for pH adjusting in jellies and jams. It is used in desserts such as cake fillings, fruit creams, and ice creams to add a tart flavor to it. Citric acid is also used in cheese processing and bakeries to improve its properties and extend shelf life.
Global Citric Acid Market Share, By Application, 2015-2025 (%)
Pharmaceutical and household segments together are projected to account for over 20% of the global citric acid market. The household segment is projected to grow with CAGR 4.7% over the forecast period, thereby, remarkably contributing to the global citric acid market size growth. Citric acid is applied in a broad range of household cleaning applications in surface cleaners, and metal cleaners. Citric acid is widely used in detergents as a binding agent to improve its cleaning properties. The global citric acid market analysis also projects increasing demand for the chemical in pharmaceutical applications. Citric acid is widely used in the pharmaceutical industry owing to its non-toxic nature, high water solubility, chelating, and buffering properties. Due to these characteristics, they are used in chewable and effervescent tablets and oral liquids among others.
Rising awareness for organic foods owing to its superior health benefits has propelled demand for food products of natural origin. The usage of citric acid as a natural flavoring agent has significantly increased owing to the present consumer inclination towards organic food & beverages. This is one of the significant citric acid market trends which is fueling the market growth. Thus, increasing preference for natural food additives is projected to positively impact the citric acid market 2018 over the forecast period. Detergents & cleaning products accounted for over 75% of the revenue share of the global laundry & homecare products in 2017. Increasing urbanization and shift in lifestyle, especially across developing markets, is leading to greater demand for sophisticated household products which is further projected to propel the global citric acid market size.
North America and Europe together accounted for over 40% of the global citric acid market share, whereas, Asia Pacific is projected growth with a significant CAGR of 6.6% over the forecast period. Presence of a widespread food & beverage industry in these regions is projected to fuel the global citric acid market size. High demand for organic food ingredients in these regions is further projected to fuel the market growth.
Archer Daniels Midland Company, Cargill Incorporated, Jungbunzlauer Suisse AG, Basel, COFCO, and Gadot Biochemical Industries Ltd. are some of the top players operating within the global citric acid market. These companies are focused on product research in order to develop innovative products as well as expand the application scope of citric acid. These players are also focused on increasing geographic presence through collaborations with local players.
Citric Acid Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2029||USD 9.43 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 5.92 % during 2021-2029|
|Segment Covered||form, application, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, Middle East and Africa|
|Key Players Profiled||ADM, Cargill, Incorporated, Tate & Lyle, Jungbunzlauer Suisse AG, Kenko Corporation, Pfizer, Inc., Cofco, Huangshi Xinghua Biochemical Co. Ltd, Foodchem International Corporation, RZBC Group, Weifang Ensign Industry Co., Ltd., Danisco A/S, Gadot Biochemical Industries Ltd., S.A. Citrique Belge N.V., BASF SE, Associated Bristish Foods plc, DSM and Chemelco|
Key segments of the global citric acid market
End Use Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million) (Kilo Tons)
- Food & Beverages
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million) (Kilo Tons)
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the citric acid industry
- We have been following the organic acid industry from quite some time, especially the development in the citric acid industry since past few years.
- Growing applications of citric acid in convenience food & beverage products owing to its properties is fuelling the growth of the market
- Ongoing research & development on citric acid is likely to widen its application range such as a crosslinking agent in thermoset resins
What does the report include?
- The study on the global citric acid market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities
- Additionally, the market has been evaluated using the value chain, Porter’s Five Forces’ analysis, import-export and price trend analysis
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of end use and region (and country).
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the citric acid industry, who want an in-depth insight into the developments in the citric acid market. The report will benefit:
- Citric acid manufacturers and related raw material manufacturers, suppliers and independent consultants that are engaged in manufacturing or play a role in the supply chain
- Managers within financial institutions looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics pertaining to citric acid industry
- Venture capitalist looking into investing capital in the industry
- Government organizations, regulatory bodies, policymakers and organizations looking for enhancing their policies and services pertaining to citric acid industry
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies