The global biocide market size was valued USD 9.16 billion in 2017, owing to its application in paint & coatings manufacturing industries, as well as in disinfectants for the household and healthcare sector. The effectiveness of biocide in restricting microbial & fungal growth and preventing the spread of infections has resulted in a surge in its demand in the global market.
Global Biocide Market Revenue, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
Biocide is a compound which is used to kill or control any life form. These are a diverse group of poisonous substances including insecticides, disinfectants, preservatives and pesticides used for the control of organisms that are harmful to human or animal health or that cause damage to natural or manufactured products. However, the growing concern over the exposure to toxic chemicals is expected to hamper the global biocide market growth in the coming years. The European Union regulatory framework and the Federal Pesticide Law (FIFRA) regulates the use of biocides in Europe and the US respectively. For instance, the FDA recently banned Triclosan, an antibacterial agent from use in over-the-counter antiseptic products
Halogen compounds segment had a valuation of USD 2.48 million in 2017 in the global biocide market. The low cost and availability of raw materials such as bromine, chlorine, and iodine are the factors contributing towards the escalated use of biocides. Another factor driving the growth of this segment is the application in disinfection of drinking water and cooling systems and surfaces. The increasing need for clean water is expected to further propel the demand for halogen biocides. However, growing environmental and health concerns with regard to the use of chlorine and bromine are expected to hamper the growth in the coming years. Continuous exposure to chlorine in the air can affect the immune system and thus poses threat to organisms in water and soil. This has necessitated the need for regulations that mandate the release of such chemicals.
Water treatment application emerged as the largest application contributing to more than 23% of the revenues in 2017 and is projected to witness the fastest gains in the future. Rising need for clean water for domestic and industrial use in developing regions is the key driving factor behind the growth of wastewater treatment plants. The growth in potable water requirement owing to the increasing population in Asia Pacific is expected to propel the global biocide market demand. Furthermore, increased health awareness is also expected to act as a catalyst and contribute to the growth of the global biocide industry.
North America accounted for 40.5 % of the total revenue share in 2017. The U.S. dominated the regional biocide market and this trend is anticipated to continue over the forecast period. The infrastructural development in the region has escalated the demand for paints & coatings which has consequently driven the demand for biocide. The growing demand for food & beverage and personal care products owing to the rising disposable income has further led to the growth of the biocide market across the region. An increasing number of water treatment projects coupled with rising demand from the construction industry are the factors that are positively impacting the biocide market growth in the region. Middle East is expected to offer lucrative opportunities during the forecast period as a result of increased urbanization, rise in per capita income and demand from oil & gas application which will act as a driver for oilfield biocide market.
The global biocide market is highly fragmented owing to the presence of a large number of global and regional players. Companies including AkzoNobel N.V., BASF SE, Clariant AG, The Dow Chemical Company, Thor Group Limited, Troy Corporation, LANXESS, Ashland Global Specialty Chemicals Inc., Nalco Champion, and Arch Chemicals Inc. among others have a broader presence within the global biocide market. The key players adopt several strategies to strengthen themselves. For instance, in November 2018, Lanxess announced that it would invest INR 1,250 crore in India to strengthen its asset base. Chemical intermediates, high-performance plastics and water treatment products will be the focus areas of the investment. This investment will also strengthen the Indian production sites.
Biocide Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2025||USD 13.76 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of over 5.3% during 2015-2025|
|Segment Covered||Type, Application, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Rest of the World|
|Key Players Profiled||AkzoNobel N.V., BASF SE, Clariant AG, The Dow Chemical Company, Thor Group Limited, Troy Corporation, LANXESS, Ashland Global Specialty Chemicals Inc., Nalco Champion and Arch Chemicals Inc. among others.|
Key segments of the global biocide market
Type Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Organic Acids
- Halogen Compounds
- Metallic Compounds
Application Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Oil & Gas
- Water Treatment
- Paints & coatings
- Food & Beverages
- Personal Care
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of APAC
- Rest of the World
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global biocide market
- While studying the market, we observed that phenolic compounds is projected to grow at the fastest rate owing to the requirement of microbial protection for a wide number of applications across the globe.
- The global biocide market has been mainly driven by the increased demand for water treatment across the globe.
- The water treatment application is projected to witness fastest growth in the coming years owing to rising need for clean water for domestic and industrial purposes.
What does the report include?
- The study on the Global biocide market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, trends, and opportunities
- Additionally, the market has been evaluated using the value chain analysis and Porter’s Five Forces’ analysis.
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of type and application.
- The report provides a deep-dive data analysis for all the applications.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or country presence
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the global biocide market, who want an in-depth insight into the movement of the global biocide market. The report will benefit:
- Executives of global biocide companies that are engaged in the biocide production and exporting
- Managers within financial institutions looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics pertaining to global biocide market
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the global biocide market
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers and financial organizations looking for innovative solutions for producing biocide
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies