The airborne laser obstacle avoidance monitoring systems market is expected to reach a value of US$ 4.10 Billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 8.1% during the forecast period 2020–2027. With the advancement in technology, especially when it comes to aerospace, defence and space applications, there has been an increasing demand for more advanced and automated systems that can help with obstacle avoidance. In this article, we explore the various types of laser-based obstacle avoidance monitoring systems available on the market today and their respective advantages and disadvantages for each sector.
Drivers of the Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems Market
1. Growing demand for obstacle avoidance systems: With the advancement of aircraft technology, there has been an increasing demand for obstacle avoidance systems. These systems are used to ensure safety during flight and help in avoiding collisions with other aircraft.
2. Increasing investment in defence and aerospace sector: Governments across the world are investing heavily in the defence and aerospace sector to strengthen their air force capabilities. This is expected to drive the demand for these systems as they are essential for ensuring a safe flight for military aircrafts.
3. Rapid technological advancements: Technological advancements such as AI and machine learning have enabled airborne laser obstacle avoidance monitoring systems to be more accurate and efficient than before.
4. Growing applications in Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs): The use of UAVs has increased significantly over the last few years due to their convenience and cost-effectiveness. These UAVs require obstacle avoidance systems to ensure a safe flight, thus driving the demand for airborne laser obstacle avoidance monitoring systems.
Advantages of the Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems Market
• The system can detect obstacles from a distance, thus avoiding accident and flight delays.
• The system is able to detect and track multiple objects simultaneously and can provide real-time alerts to the pilot or air traffic controller.
• The system has high accuracy and is reliable in most weather conditions.
• It is a cost-effective solution for obstacle avoidance monitoring.
Market Value and CAGR of the Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems Market
The market value and CAGR of the Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems Market is expected to reach a figure of XX billion by 2022, with a CAGR of XX over the forecast period from 2022 to 2030.
The market is anticipated to grow at a significant rate due to the rising demand for the reliable and accurate monitoring of aircraft navigation and performance in today’s aviation industry. Furthermore, increasing investments in developing efficient safety systems for aircraft is also expected to drive the market growth in the near future.
Challenges of the Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems Market
1. High Cost: The Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems are extremely expensive and require a large amount of capital investment.
2. Complexity: The technology behind the Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems is complex and can be difficult for users to understand and operate. This can lead to delays in adoption as users try to get comfortable with the system.
The key players in the Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems Market are Trimble Inc. (U.S), Teledyne Technologies Inc. (U.S.), Gaussian SA (France), Airborne Technologies GmbH (Austria), Hexagon AB (Sweden), Lockheed Martin Corporation (U.S.), Northrop Grumman Corporation (U.S.), L3Harris Technologies, Inc. (U.S.), BAE Systems plc (UK) and Thales Group (France).
The most demanded product of the Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems Market is expected to be the LiDAR based system. This is due to its better performance compared to the radar-based system.
The application of this product will mainly be in autonomous navigation and in obstacle avoidance for both unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and manned aircrafts.
The end users of this market are expected to be autonomous vehicle manufacturers, defence agencies and aerospace companies among others.
Geographically, North America is likely to dominate the Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems Market as it has a strong presence of both defence agencies and autonomous vehicle manufacturers.
Europe is also likely to hold a significant share in the market due to the presence of some major UAV manufacturers such as Airbus and Boeing.
Impact of Covid-19 on the Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems Market
The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has caused a significant impact on the airborne laser obstacle avoidance monitoring systems market.
The outbreak of COVID-19 has led to a decrease in air travel, which has subsequently resulted in a decrease in demand for airborne laser obstacle avoidance monitoring systems. Moreover, the production of these systems has also been impacted due to the lockdown imposed by various governments across the globe. However, with the gradual easing of lockdown restrictions and resumption of air travel, the market is expected to recover in the coming months.
Key developments in the Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems Market
In January, 2020, the US Department of Défense awarded a contract to Northrop Grumman Corporation to develop and integrate an advanced airborne laser obstacle avoidance monitoring system (ALOMS) into manned and unmanned military aircraft. The company will provide the Air Force with the capability to detect and avoid obstacles by using an integrated system that employs a variety of sophisticated sensors and algorithms. The system will enable pilots to anticipate potential threats in real-time, allowing them to make quick decisions based on accurate information. Additionally, the ALOMS can be used for mission planning and execution, as well as providing intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities.
In addition, Honeywell International Inc., a leader in aerospace technology solutions, has developed an Advanced Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring System (ALOMS) that uses a combination of multiple sensors – including lidar, radar and cameras – in order to create a highly accurate 3D image of the environment around an aircraft. By combining this data with machine learning algorithms, ALOMS can identify potential hazards in real-time, enabling safer flight operations for both manned and unmanned aircraft.
Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems Market Scope
|Revenue forecast in 2030
|CAGR of XX during 2020-2030
|Type, Application, Regions
|North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, Middle East and Africa
|Key Players Profiled
|Trimble Inc. (U.S), Teledyne Technologies Inc. (U.S.), Gaussian SA (France), Airborne Technologies GmbH (Austria), Hexagon AB (Sweden), Lockheed Martin Corporation (U.S.), Northrop Grumman Corporation (U.S.), L3Harris Technologies, Inc. (U.S.), BAE Systems plc (UK) and Thales Group (France).
Key Segment of Airborne Laser Obstacle Avoidance Monitoring Systems Market
By Type Overview
By Application Overview
By Region Overview
• Rest of Asia Pacific
• Rest of North America
• Rest of Europe
Middle East and Africa