Data with a large volume is called as Big Data. Thus Big Data is a term used to describe a set of information that is big in size which is gathered through computers, sensors, people, events and other things. Big data is yet growing exponentially with time and collection of data and it analysis will only improve. In particular, such data is so complex and huge that it becomes difficult for traditional data management tools to analyse it and store it for future use. Thus big data is efficient in making decisions, confirming hypotheses, gaining insights and predicting future. Big data has gain the popularity and used in several industry sectors worldwide as it can store large amount of data.
Big Data Tools and Techniques
- Basic Data Manipulation and Analysis
Performing well-defined computations or asking well-defined questions (“queries”)
- Data Mining
Looking for patterns in data
- Machine Learning
Using data to build models and make predictions
- Data Visualization
Graphical depiction of data
- Data Collection and Preparation
Big data involves statistical and numerical analysis with different types of coding languages such as C++, Java, R, and Python among others.
Different Types of Big Data:
- Structured data (Relational, Tables)
- Semi Structured Data (XML, JSON, Logfiles)
- Unstructured Data (Free Text, Webpages)
- Graph Data (Social Network, Semantic Web)
- Streaming Data
Application and services of big data
- Weather prediction
- Medical diagnosis
- Financial markets
- Resource management
- Computational social science
- Smart buildings and cities
Big data enables to use data to build models, perform well-defined computations and make predictions accordingly in or order to simplify any organizational query. This way all the information can be stored securely in database.
The five V of Big Data
• Volume: large amounts of data generated every second (Example: emails, twitter messages, videos, sensor data and many more).
• Velocity: the speed of data moving in and out data management systems (Example: videos going viral on different social media sites or “on-the-fly”).
• Variety: different data formats in terms of structured or unstructured (80%) data.
• Value: insights we can reveal within the data.
• Veracity: trustworthiness of the data.
The new trend of social media is somewhere influencing the use of data base massively. For example, everyday people are posting numerous content in the form of messages, pictures, audio, and videos on social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and others. Hence, the internet is getting flooded by a huge amount of data every second. However, many companies are using this unstructured data to get insights and creating business solutions and strategies.
Big data does provides perceptible business benefits to organization in spite of its hype. Big data enables process automation, decision making and enhanced insight to the organizations. The characteristics of big data is the five V as Volume, Velocity, Variety, Value and Veracity. This new type of data management solution stands the trademark of highly cost-effective, massively parallel and scalable information. Thus big data is a set of large amounts of data collected through computers, sensors, people, objects, etc. Processing with such information it helps in making decisions, confirming hypotheses, gaining insights, predicting future.