Ideally, the structure and implementation of a mosquito surveillance program should be based on the requirements of the local mosquito management agency. Moreover, these wants have to define the elements of the management program, likewise because of the required budget. In fact, this method is commonly reversed. Mosquito management programs square measure funded at a selected level, generally while not a needs-assessment method. The program director is then needed to meet all mosquito management wants at intervals the constraints of a set budget.
The first step in decisive that mosquito species should be monitored to survey which species cause issues. A nuisance mosquito bothers people, usually in and around homes or in recreational areas because the results of nice numbers of biting adults that emerges from massive tracts of untreated breeding sites. An economically necessary mosquito reduces property values, slows economic development, and reduces business enterprise, and/or adversely affects ethereal and poultry production. A health related mosquito drawback results when a mosquito species transmits pathogens that cause disease. In Florida, this definition presently includes sure mosquito species that transmit dog heartworm, St. Gladiator phrenitis virus, West Nile virus, eastern equine encephalitis virus, Zika, chikungunya, and breakbone fever viruses and protozoal infection. Any mosquito that bites or annoys people will be considered an unhealthiest; significantly for people who are allergic to mosquito bites or suffer from zoophobia.
Carefully planned and executed mosquito surveillance is a crucial part of an integrated blighter management program. Once target species are known, selected areas will be sampled to see the abundance of adults and larvae of the species of interest. There are many issues that have to be evaluated once choosing the right police work strategies.
- Examine if the aim of the watching is to outline the extent of the mosquito insect problem, record the presence or absence of species or document a selected species within a given space, justify management measures for compliance with state laws and regulations, gauge effectiveness of enforced management measures, or confirm potential vector abundance and distribution.
- Establish environment sorts at intervals the world to help in the identification of species that may be encountered, like salt marshes or urban residential areas.
- Conduct a qualitative assessment of species gift and contemplate the potential for problems primarily based upon the species collected.
- Conduct a quantitative assessment of relative abundance of target species to assist in the development of applicable management measures.
- Since dipterous insect assortment ways disagree in their effectiveness for sampling different species, multiple police investigation techniques for larvae and adult mosquitoes should be wont to accurately quantify mosquito insect abundance.
- Alternative concerns could embrace workload/staffing necessities, worker talent level, and coaching necessities, all of that have an effect on the length, frequency, and types of watching that may be enforced.