The global sinusitis treatment drugs market was valued at USD 2,045.8 million in 2018. Rising prevalence of acute sinusitis and increasing air and water pollution contributes to the disease prognosis of allergic rhinitis, together drive the sinusitis treatment drugs market.
As per the research citings of American College of Physicians (ACP), sinusitis usually occurs after a cold infection when the mucus gets trapped in the sinuses and causes inflammation. If the mucus is not properly drained there is high risk of occurrence of bacterial and rarely fungal infection. Acute sinusitis occurs if the symptoms are resolved within 1 to 4 weeks of infection, whereas chronic sinusitis occurs if the symptoms persists for more than a month. The factors that increase the risk of sinusitis are swimming, smoking, air travel, dental problems etc. Rising prevalence of sinusitis infection worldwide and increasing urbanization causing air and water pollution further accentuates the sinusitis treatment drugs market growth. Self-medication and occurrence of antimicrobial resistance is the major restraint pertaining to sinusitis treatment drugs market.
The global sinusitis treatment drugs market is segmented by therapy and region. The therapy segment is further segmented as antibiotics, NSAIDS, decongestant & mucolytic and nasal irrigation. The antibiotics comprises of Penicillin/ Β-lactamase inhibitor combinations, macrolide, quinolone, and cephalosporin. Decongestant & mucolytic are further categorized as corticosteroids, antihistamines, a1 receptor agonist and imidazoline derivatives etc.
North America is leading the regional segment for sinusitis treatment drugs market with a market share of 34.65% in 2018. Asia Pacific will be showcasing excellent market growth during the forecast period owing to rising prevalence of acute bacterial sinusitis and increasing urbanization resulting in rising air and water pollution causing sinusitis will bolster the market growth in the market growth.
The pharmaceutical companies manufacturing drugs used in the treatment of sinusitis are Abbott Laboratories, Inc., Bayer AG, GlaxoSmithkline, Plc. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Pfizer, Inc., Sanofi SA., Sandoz International GmbH, Merck & Co., Inc., Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. and Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, Ltd.
Sinusitis Treatment Drugs Market Scope
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 3.3% during 2021-2028|
Key segments of the sinusitis treatment drugs market
By Therapy, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Penicillin/ Β-lactamase inhibitor combinations
- Decongestant and mucolytic
- a1 receptor agonist
- Imidazoline derivatives
- Nasal irrigation
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Rest of MEA
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global sinusitis treatment drugs market
- The overall segmentation of the sinusitis treatment drugs market, especially therapy type is thoroughly studied. Decongestant & mucolytic and NSAIDS segments are anticipated to be the fastest growing sub segment till 2025
- Rising prevalence of acute sinusitis and increasing pollution in the Asia Pacific regional segment will further drive the sinusitis treatment drugs market growth
- Rising public health awareness and effective implementation of antimicrobial stewardship program will further propel the sinusitis treatment drugs market growth
What does the report include?
- The study on the global sinusitis treatment drugs market includes qualitative analysis of factors such as drivers, restraints and opportunities
- The report covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the overall market segmented on the basis of therapy and breakdown of the same at regional level
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the considered segments
- The study includes the profiles of key market players with a significant global and/or regional presence along with top company positioning
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the biopharmaceutical sector focusing on formulation and development of medications, seeking an in-depth insight into the movement of the sinusitis treatment drugs market. The report will benefit:
- Executives of pharmaceutical companies that are engaged in the manufacturing of drugs for the treatment of sinusitis
- Managers within financial institutions looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics pertaining to sinusitis treatment drugs market
- Venture capitalists, investors, financial institutions, analysts, government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers, researchers, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies
- Biopharmaceutical firms who are looking for new avenues of revenue generation
The American Academy of Otolaryngology (AAO), acute rhinosinusitis occurs due to viral infections which are associated with cold. The disease etiology of sinusitis is the impairment of nasal cilia which transfers mucus, the obstruction and impaired draining of mucus causes stagnation of secretion and impedes oxygen tension in the sinuses. The bacterial strains associated with sinusitis infection are Staphylococcus aureus, Haemophilus influenza and Moraxella catarrhalis etc. The viral strains associated with sinusitis are adenovirus, rhinovirus, parainfluenza and influenza virus.
The antibiotics employed for the treatment of sinusitis needs accurate diagnosis of sinusitis subtypes, or else it might result in antibiotic overuse and occurrence of antimicrobial resistance. World Health Organization (WHO) in association with healthcare regulatory agencies such as Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and European Medical Agency (EMA), has drafted antimicrobial stewardship guidelines and are currently working in its effective implementation. The first line antibiotics employed by physicians worldwide are Amoxicillin/clavulanate, in combination of 00 mg/125 mg, every 8 hours for 10 days. Patients showing allergic reaction to penicillin are prescribed cephalosporin such as cefuroxime and cefpodoxime with posology of 200 to 20 mg twice per day for 10 days. In patients showing resistance to first line therapy macrolides such as azithromycin and clarithromycin with posology of 500 mg per day for 3 to 14 days are prescribed based on the symptoms. Quinolones such as levofloxacin and moxifloxacin can also be prescribed in patients allergic to macrolide antibitoics.
Omalizumab (Roche) is currently under phase III clinical trial investigation, to deduce its therapeutic efficacy in patients suffering with severe and recalcitrant chronic rhinosinusitis. OPN-375 (Optinose US, Inc.), is in III clinical trial investigation, being studied for its therapeutic efficacy in patients suffering with nasal polyposis. Acetyl cysteine is currently under investigation for its therapeutic efficacy in the treatment of acute uncomplicated rhinosinusitis.
The decongestant & mucolytic, are currently holding the largest market share of 40.37% in 2018, owing to its ability to drain mucus trapped in sinuses causing inflammation. Corticosteroid such as budesonide will be showcasing fastest growth as it is employed as nasal sprays to treat stuffy nose and sneezing caused due to seasonal allergies. It is also helpful in ensuring that nasal polyps do not occur after surgery. Imidazoline derivatives and antihistamines are widely employed to achieve symptomatic relief in viral sinusitis infection.
The global sinusitis treatment drugs market is divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America and Middle East & Africa regions. North America currently spearheads the regional segment for sinusitis treatment drugs market. Rising prevalence of viral sinusitis and domicile of key players such as Sanofi SA, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, Ltd., Abbott Laboratories, Inc., etc., bolsters the sinusitis treatment drugs market in the region. European market is majorly determined by key factors such as strategic partnership between academic research institutes and major pharmaceutical players for the formulation and development of existing medications for treatment of acute sinusitis in the region. European Medical Agency (EMA), has made it mandatory for the effective implementation of antimicrobial stewardship which will further propel the sinusitis treatment drugs market in the region. Asia Pacific will be expected to highlight impressive growth in the near future owing to key factors such as rising prevalence of acute bacterial sinusitis and developing healthcare infrastructure.