The global predictive genetic testing market was valued at USD 1,872.5 million in 2018.Ability to detect genetic variation at high accuracy and drastic reduction in the test kits, consolidates the predictive genetic testing market.
According to the latest research citings provided by Genetic Alliance UK, predictive genetic test is useful in providing information whether a person might develop a particular disease condition, most probably at a later stage of life. This information is obtained if a particular gene is associated with a disease. It is imperative to understand that the person undergoing such test is healthy at the time of investigation and might have some familial connection with some disease which he or she is curious about they might acquire it due to hereditary traits.
The global predictive genetic testing market is segmented by type, demographics and region. The type segment is further categorized as predispositional and presymptomatic testing. The demographics segment is further sub segmented as <35, 35 – 64 and 65+ etc.
North America is spearheading the regional segment owing to key drivers such as rising public awareness regarding application of predictive genetic testing in curbing chronic diseases in later stage of life by judicious medical intervention. Existence of well-developed healthcare infrastructure also fortifies the predictive genetic testing market growth in the region.
The biopharmaceutical companies manufacturing predictive genetic testing kits are Agilent, Technologies, Inc., BGI Genomics, F.Hoffman-La Roche Ltd., Genes In Life., Invitae Corporation, Illumina, Inc., 23andMe, Myriad Genetics, Inc., Pathway Genomics and Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
Predictive Genetic Testing Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2028||USD 1,872.5 million|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 12.0% during 2021-2028|
|Segment Covered||By Type, By Demographics, Regions|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle-East & Africa|
|Key Players Profiled||genetic testing kits are Agilent, Technologies, Inc., BGI Genomics, F.Hoffman-La Roche Ltd., Genes In Life., Invitae Corporation, Illumina, Inc., 23andMe, Myriad Genetics, Inc., Pathway Genomics and Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.|
Key segments of the predictive genetic testing market
By Type, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- Predispositional testing
- Presymptomatic testing
By Demographics, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- 35 – 64
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD Million)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Rest of MEA
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global predictive genetic testing market
- The overall segmentation of the predictive genetic testing market, especially by type and demographics is thoroughly studied. Predispositional testing and demographics of 35 – 64 group are anticipated to be the fastest growing sub segment till 2025
- Increasing public health awareness in the Asia Pacific regional segment will further drive the predictive genetic testing market growth
- Detection of genetic variation at high accuracy and reduced cost will further propel the predictive genetic testing market growth
What does the report include?
- The study on the global predictive genetic testing market includes qualitative analysis of factors such as drivers, restraints and opportunities
- The report covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the overall market segmented on the basis of type and demographics and breakdown of the same at regional level
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the considered segments
- The study includes the profiles of key market players with a significant global and/or regional presence along with top company positioning
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the biopharmaceutical sector focusing on formulation and development of medications, seeking an in-depth insight into the movement of the predictive genetic testing market. The report will benefit:
- Executives of biopharmaceutical companies that are engaged in the manufacturing of test kits employed in predictive genetic testing
- Managers within financial institutions looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics pertaining to predictive genetic testing market
- Venture capitalists, investors, financial institutions, analysts, government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers, researchers, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies
- Biopharmaceutical firms who are looking for new avenues of revenue generation
Predictive genetic testing is the utilization of genetic test in an asymptomatic person to test his predictability to develop symptoms and possible cause of disease prognosis in the later stage of life. The assumption of doing predictive genetic testing is the existence of hereditary disorders in the consumer’s family and it’s the curiosity which makes him opt for the predictive genetic testing. Currently there is being a paradigm shift in the approach of people worldwide regarding the approach towards predictive genetic testing, making it a scientific approach to prepare for the socioeconomic conditions if tested positive for a particular hereditary disease such as Huntington disease, Alzheimer’s disease, breast cancer etc.
Presymptomatic testing is usually done for conditions with complete penetrance prior to onset of symptoms which occurs in later stage of life for e.g., Huntington’s disease. Positive test results indicates a very likelihood of occurrence of symptoms of a disease, the risk associated with this test is the depression experienced by the consumer opted for the test, as most of the hereditary diseases revealed form this test are not curable.
Predispositional testing is for condition with reduced penetrance or multifactorial inheritance, which eventually reveals the presence of a mutation associated with increased risk of disease such as hereditary cancer syndromes and hereditary hemochromatosis, it is imperative to understand that the test is not a certainty, but the consumer is more likely at a risk of developing symptoms at some stage of his life. This type of test is frequently utilized for detection of mutations liked to breast cancer.
The types segment comprises of predispositional and presymptomatic testing. In 2018, predispositional testing dominated the types segment with 84.06% market share, on account of the increasing number of female populations willing to undertake predictive genetic test to identify BRAC1 gene mutation and suppress the occurrence of breast cancer in the later stage of life. Presymptomatic test is usually undertaken by consumers who have family history of chronic autoimmune diseases such as Huntington’s disease and understand their chances of getting the disease in later stage of life and plan for their socio economic conditions accordingly.
The demographics segment is classified as <35, 35 – 64 and 65+. The age group of 35-64 spearheaded the demographics segment in 2018 with a market share of 50.60%, on account of increasing health awareness and disposable income to opt for predictive genetic testing.
The global predictive genetic testing market is divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America and Middle East & Africa regions. North America is currently dominating the regional segment for predictive genetic testing market on account for key parameters such as rising public health awareness regarding feasibility of predictive genetic testing in curbing chronic diseases at later stage of life by judicious medical intervention. Existence of well-developed healthcare infrastructure will further bolster the predictive genetic testing market growth in the region. Europe is heavily dependent on the strategic collaboration between major biopharmaceutical players and research institutes regarding the development of predispositional testing kits. European Medical Agency (EMA), has expedited the commercialization of predictive genetic testing in the region. Asia Pacific will be showcasing exemplary performance during the forecast period owing to the rising prevalence of genetic disorders and developing healthcare infrastructure.