The global prebiotics market was valued at USD 4.06 billion in 2017. Increasing demand for clean label products such as plant-sourced prebiotics owing to the rapid adoption of healthier diets are the key factors behind driving the global prebiotics market size growth.
Global Prebiotics Market Size, 2015-2025 (Usd Billion)
Deployment of prebiotics in medicines for stress reduction, memory boosting as well as fat reduction is expected to drive the prebiotics market size in coming years. Prebiotics present in dietary supplements and fermented food positively impact sleep patterns and have also proved beneficial in lowering the physiological stress effects. As per recent prebiotics market trends, prebiotics when included in infant formula, improves the memory power and exploratory behavior of an infant, since mother’s milk is found insufficient for complete nutrition. Also, time constraints and urbanization are the key factors which have led to early termination of breastfeeding. This has compelled leading players in the prebiotics industry to develop infant formula fortified with prebiotics, which is expected to improve baby’s cognitive health. Infant formula also aids babies in overcoming infections by enhancing immunity, preventing gastrointestinal diseases, increasing mineral absorption and lowering the trend of obesity.
The global prebiotics market size is expected to rise rapidly in the near future owing to growing sales of functional foods and supplements. Prebiotics dietary supplement application is expected to register a revenue growth rate of 11.7% over the next seven years. Prebiotics in animal feed application is expected to witness high gains in the coming years owing to increasing livestock production, to cater to growing demand for animal meat as a major source of protein. Also, prebiotics improves cattle productivity, since it improves their digestion, performance and immune system. Rise in per capita meat consumption, especially in Latin America and Caribbean regions along with the ban of using antibiotics as a growth promoter in animal feed is expected to positively influence the prebiotics market trends in coming years. Therefore, animal feed prebiotics is the most lucrative segment on the back of ever-rising demand for healthy and safe meat products.
Global Prebiotics Market Value Share, By Application, 2017 (%)
On the basis of ingredients, galactooligosaccharides (GOS) holds major growth potential in the near future, rising with a revenue CAGR of 11.6% from 2018 to 2025. Rising usage of galactooligosaccharides (GOS) due to multiple health benefits such as improvement in bone mineralization by stimulating calcium absorption, prevention of colon cancer, bifidobacteria growth and substituting human milk oligosaccharides is driving the global prebiotics market size.
Apart from GOS, inulin holds a significant prebiotics market volume share of 42.7% and holds lucrative opportunities in the coming years. Inulin in food products are used for optimum gut functioning and favors the propagation of normal bacterial flora and impedes the growth of pathogenic organisms. Fructooligosaccharide (FOS) is being widely incorporated in food products and infant formulae due to their laxative effects. FOS enhances fecal bolus and the frequency of depositions, which in turn lowers the instances of constipation, occurring due to the rising trend of inadequate fiber diet consumption in modern society.
Europe and Asia Pacific together accounted for more than 80% of the global prebiotics market size, in terms of volume and value. Rapid industrial growth and technological advancements in the food industry has opened favorable prebiotics market trends in these regions. Additionally, the presence of numerous end-user pharmaceutical companies such as FrieslandCampina (Netherlands) and Royal Cosun (Netherlands), of prebiotic ingredients designates high demand for prebiotics ingredients from both the economies and is expected to surge the prebiotics market size.
North American market is witnessing sluggish growth over the forecast years due to heavy regulations laid down by US FDA on the labels of food products which are termed as ‘dietary fibers’. FDA, as a part of a multi-year effort to amend the labels used on foods and dietary supplements is seeking for a regulatory definition of the term ‘dietary fibers’ from the key manufacturers. This has even put prominent ingredient categories such as inulin at a toss in the entire North American food and beverage market. Thus, the advent of stringent regulations pertaining to the registration and labeling of new ingredients is expected to hamper the prebiotic market trends in this region.
Key manufacturers in the global prebiotics market are majorly involved in product innovations and are significantly contributing towards research and development. Companies are more keen towards setting up R&D facilities in developing regions and invest in an area of innovative food & beverage products that provide weight loss, calorie reduction and fat control techniques. Giant production base coupled with the presence of starch manufacturers such as ADM, Cargill Foods and Beneo in the developed economies are expected to cater to the growing prebiotics demand.
Key segments of the global prebiotics market
Ingredients Type Overview, 2015-2025 (Kilo tons) (USD Million)
- Fructo-Oligosaccharide (FOS)
- Galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS)
- Mannan-Oligosaccharide (MOS)
- Others (Oligosaccharides, Chicory Fructans, etc.)
Application Overview, 2015-2025 (Kilo tons) (USD Million)
- Prebiotic Food & Beverages
- Dairy products
- Baked food
- Fermented meat products
- Dry food Prebiotics
- Prebiotic Dietary Supplements
- Food supplement
- Nutritional supplements
- Specialty nutrients
- Infant formula
- Animal Feed Prebiotics
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (Kilo tons) (USD Million)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of APAC
- Rest of World (RoW)
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global prebiotics market
- While studying the market, we observed that use of the term ‘dietary fiber’ is widely regulated by agencies such as EPA and FDA
- Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing region owing to increasing prevalence of chronic diseases majorly in India and Japan
- The global prebiotics market is projected to witness lucrative opportunity in developing regions of Latin America and Middle East & Africa due to accelerating demand for sedentary lifestyle because of rising financial status of consumers
What does the report include?
- The study on the global prebiotics market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, trends, and opportunities
- Additionally, the market has been evaluated using the SWOT analysis and Porter’s Five Forces’ analysis and PESTEL analysis
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of ingredients, application and region. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the prebiotics market, who want an in-depth insight into the movement of the prebiotics market. The report will benefit:
- Executives of food and beverage companies that are engaged in the prebiotics and dietary fiber product manufacturing
- Managers within financial institutions looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics pertaining to digestive enzyme market
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the global prebiotics market
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers and financial organizations looking for innovations in food products
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies