The global post-harvest treatment market revenue is projected to reach close to USD 2.7 billion by 2028. This can be attributed to increases in trade of perishable products for the consumers such as vegetables and foods in the global industry. Moreover, the growing applications of post-harvest treatments to increase the shelf life of food products to enhance its properties during transportation and storage are some of the other factors to anticipate the increasing demand in the global market.
Post-harvest handling in the agricultural sector is a crucial stage of the overall crop production process. The harvested products are metabolically active and undergo different cycles of maturation and process of deterioration with age, which need to be monitored for the sustained consistency of the product. The demand for tropical fruits and vegetables and the trade in those goods is likely to provide a high demand for the harvest treatment over the coming years. The demand for exotic fruits and vegetables and the awareness of their nutritional value is a key factor projected to drive growth over the forecast period of the global post-harvest treatment industry. However, customers are turning towards the use of organic goods, and novel post-harvest treatment methods thereby positively stimulating the growth in the industry.
Key Segments of the Global Post-Harvest Treatment Market
Type Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Billion)
- Ethylene blockers
- Sprout inhibitors
Crop Type Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Billion)
Regional Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Billion)
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
- Rest of South America
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global post-harvest treatment market.
- Post-harvest treatment is widely used coatings for food products owing to their excellent properties and the market is expected to gain traction over the coming years
- With the growing advancements, there is a rise in the demand for post-harvest treatment which is further expected to have a positive impact on the overall market growth
What does the report include?
- The study on the global post-harvest treatment market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities
- The study covers the competitive landscape of existing/prospective players in the post-harvest treatment industry and their strategic initiatives for the product development
- The study covers a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented based on type and crop type. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments.
Who should buy this report?
- This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the global post-harvest treatment market. The report will benefit: Every stakeholder involved in the post-harvest treatment market.
- Managers within the post-harvest treatment industry looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics about the global post-harvest treatment market.
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers, and organizations looking for investments in trends of global post-harvest treatment market.
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies.
A crop is sold for fresh consumption or used as an ingredient in a packaged food product, post-harvest treatment ultimately determines final consistency of the product. Optimal post-harvest therapies for fresh produce strive to slow down perishes and maturation of physiological cycles. The factor helps in reducing the production of physiological abnormalities and mitigate the risk of microbial growth and degradation. In addition to this, key post-harvest temperature and control technologies, a number of other technologies have been introduced such as heat, antimicrobials, and edible coatings, and gaseous treatments, antioxidants, irradiation, and anti-browning. Rising demand for fresh and tropical fruits & vegetables fuels the post-harvest care industry.
Additionally, factors such as rising recognition and need for post-harvest losses are projected to increase demand for fruit and vegetables post-harvest treatments. However, the lack of effective post-harvest processes facilities in emerging regions and Europe's strict government regulations serve as a barrier to post-harvest demand development for service. However, a rise in growth towards the consumption of organic fruit & vegetables and novel post-harvest treatment methods are also projected to have a beneficial impact on the development of the demand for post-harvest treatment. Moreover, the need for organic fruits and vegetables as well as the creative approach for treating post-harvest care majors are some of critical factors for growth of the market.
Based on the type, the market is segmented into coatings, cleaners, fungicides, ethylene blockers, sanitizers, and sprout inhibitors. The coating type leads the market growth in 2019 and it is anticipated to hold its CAGR during the forecast years. Coatings are one of the ways for rising commodity shelf-life and reducing fluctuations in quality and quantity. The packing process are often added to fruits & vegetables to preserve their softness, colour, odour and taste. The production of edible coatings has made it possible for fruit and vegetable growers to use treatments for prevention of adverse effect such as rioting and chemicals on the products.
Crop Type Segment
In terms of the crop type segment, the market is segmented into fruits and vegetables. In 2019, the fruit segment accumulated the major share and is expected to continue the trend over the forecast years. Fruits are highly prone to riot in nature and are in need for right treatment with post-harvest methods in order to increase the shelf life of vegetables and fruits for easy transportation and longer storage. The rise in use of natural flavours in the food and beverage industry is also encouraging the trade of fruits, which in turn has resulted in a surge in demand for post-harvest treatment solutions.
The Asia Pacific region dominated the overall market share with a CAGR of more than 7.5% in 2019 and it is projected to keep its position during the forecast years 2018-2028. The factors such as demographic growth and increasing urbanization throughout the country are expected to boost market development over the coming years. Asia Pacific has one some of the fastest growing economies in the world as China and India.
Asia Pacific region is projected to demonstrate a high rate of growth due to growing energy demand in emerging economies like China, India, Thailand, Japan, Indonesia, and Vietnam. China and India, with a large number of manufacturing sectors is expected to have a fastest growth for the post-harvest treatments in the Asia Pacific market. Countries like India and China are the main fruit and vegetable growers and the bulk of products are exported to Europe and North America. Asia Pacific has a number of developing countries, fruit and vegetable losses from post-harvest are observed on a large scale in the region. Therefore, the need for solutions for successful post-harvest methods remains strong and is projected to provide a high demand in market over the coming years.
The major players of the global post-harvest treatment market are Decco, JBT, Pace International LLC, Xeda International, Agrofresh Inc., Syngenta, FMC Corporation, Nufarm, and Bayer AG. Moreover, the market comprises several other prominent players in the post-harvest treatment market as Citrosol, Fomesa Fruitech, Futureco Bioscience, Corteva Agriscience, BASF, Sensitech Inc, Post-Harvest Solutions, Janssen PMP, Colin Campbell Pty Ltd, Valent Biosciences, and RPM International. The post-harvest treatment market consists of well-established global as well as local players. Additionally, the previously recognized market players are coming up with new and advanced strategic solutions and services to stay competitive in the global market.