The physical vapor deposition market was valued at USD 17 billion in 2017. Physical vapor deposition is one of the most versatile coating methods compared to others as it is corrosion resistant, durable, possessing good impact strength and can operate at varying processing temperatures. Owing to these properties microelectronics industry have widely adopted to PVD coating for its electronics components, is driving the growth of the global physical vapor deposition market. Further, solar PV panels are being coated with PVD films and the increasing adoption to solar energy is projected to drive the growth of the global physical vapor deposition market during the forecast period.
In 2017, PVD equipment was valued at USD 10 billion followed by PVD services and materials. PVD equipment mainly comprises heating, electroplating, vacuum, condensation and coating equipment. The choice of the equipment depends upon the use such as forming & punching, molding & die-casting and cutting tools. Quality PVD coating is achieved using the latest PVD equipment, hence many players in the global physical vapor deposition market are investing heavily in advanced PVD equipment to achieve optimized quality. The PVD coating material includes titanium, chromium, nitrogen and aluminum. These materials are not only durable but also add an enhancing look to the coating. The PVD services include implementation of technologies such as evaporation, sputtering, arc and ion-assisted used for coating in the global physical vapor deposition market.
Microelectronics applications accounted for the largest share of 37% in 2017 in the global physical vapor deposition market. The rise in developments and demand for microelectronics at consumer and industrial level is driving the growth of the PVD coatings. Additionally, PVD coatings for microelectronics requires high precision processing, is projected to continue its dominance in the global physical vapor deposition market. Data storage had the second largest share in 2017 as components of data storage require PVD coating for efficient performance.
Asia Pacific was the largest market in the global physical vapor deposition industry valued at USD 7.9 billion in 2017. The Asia Pacific grew owing to large developments in microelectronics components used in automobiles and consumer & industrial electronic devices. Further India and China are projected to invest heavily in solar PV panels as a shift towards solar energy is seen owing to government initiatives to reduce carbon footprints. Increased demand solar PV panels will drive the growth of the physical vapor deposition in the region. In 2017, North America had the second largest share in the global physical vapor deposition market, as the U.S. has seen major technological developments and they are the early adopters to the technology.
Major players in the global physical vapor deposition market are Platit AG, Oerlikon Balzers Hartec GmbH, Veeco Instruments Inc., Applied Materials, Inc., AEG Power Solutions, Semicore Equipment, Inc., Impact Coatings, Sulzer Metplas, IHI Corporation and Others. The market is highly competitive hence innovation in products processing, mergers and acquisitions are the strategies implemented by the key players to solidify their market position in global physical vapor deposition market. For instance, in 2011 Applied Materials, Inc. a key player in the market announced Applied Endura Avenir RF PVD technology that will solidify its RF based PVD technology portfolio.
Segment overview of global physical vapor deposition market
- Application Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million)
- Data storage
- Solar products
- Cutting tools
- Medical equipment
- Type Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million)
- PVD equipment
- PVD materials
- PVD services
- Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (USD million)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
- North America
Reasons for the study
- To understand the market reach of physical vapor deposition industry
- We wanted to understand the wider application and future growth opportunities of global physical vapor deposition Market
- We had been tracking the market since 2012 and wanted to understand the growth parameter in terms of revenue
- To understand the growth of the PVD services segment
- To study the development of latest physical vapor deposition product and services by understanding the product portfolio of key players in the market
- To understand the impactful developments of key players in the market, their strategic initiatives and comprehensively study their core competencies
- The study the growth of the Asia Pacific region and to understand the market trends in potential regions like Latin America and MEA
- To study the medial applications of PVD coatings.
- To know the positive impact of rising demand for solar PV panels on PVD market
- To study the technological developments in the machinery used for coating PVD.
- Understanding the restraints or any threats from substitutes during the forecast period.
What does the report include?
- Analysis of significant parameters such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities have been discussed in detail that are forecast to impact the market.
- Porter’s Five Forces analysis and SWOT analysis
- Company profiles of the key players in the market which helped to us understand their strategies, key initiatives, market offerings and financial performance.
- Analysis of strategic framework and market dynamics
- Value chain analysis
- Forecast till 2025 by application, region and industry
- Country level trends, rules & regulations of government bodies and associations
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry members and stakeholders in the chemical & material, electronics, automobile, medial and solar industries, who want an in-depth analysis and insight of the market. The report will benefit:
- Physical vapor deposition manufacturers across the globe
- Industry association
- Industries and players wanting to understand the varied application of PVD coatings.
- New entrants in the physical vapor deposition Market wanting to understand the market dynamics
- Stake holders in healthcare
- Stake holders in electronic industry
- Stake holders in electronic industry
- Analysts, educationalists, strategy managers, researchers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies and to forecast the market.
- Government, associations, forums and other institutions who want to understand market
- Third party consulting firm