In 2019, the global pet food extrusion market size was valued at >60 billion. Due to factors such as rapid urbanization in emerging economies, pet humanization and rising pet adoption, demand for extruded pet food products is expected to increase. Furthermore, increasing pet population coupled with rising spending on different pet food products by pet owners are expected to strengthen global pet food industry over the coming years. Pet owners consider their pets to be part of the family and provide nutritional pet food products, the most important factors that have a positive impact on the demand for high nutritional value premium extruded pet food products.
Additionally, increasing popularity of pet food extrusion equipment over the past few years is also expected to increase market opportunities over the forecast period. Benefits of extrusion process in pet food such as removal of toxic compounds and microorganisms, enhancement in food digestibility is further expected to drive the market. However, stringent government regulations regarding the ingredients consumed in making extruded pet food products are expected to be the key market challenge over the coming years.
Key Segments of the Global Pet Food Extrusion Market
Ingredient Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Billion)
- Animal Derivatives
- Vegetable & Fruits
- Grains & Oilseeds
- Vitamins & Minerals
Animal Type Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Billion)
Type Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Billion)
- Complete Diets
- Treats & Other Complementary Products
Regional Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Billion)
- Rest of Europ
- Rest of Asia-Pacifi
Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Afric
- Rest of South America
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global pet food extrusion market. Benchmark yourself against the rest of the market.
- Ensure you remain competitive as innovations by existing key players to boost the market.
What does the report include?
- The study on the global pet food extrusion market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities
- The study covers the competitive landscape of existing/prospective players in the pet food extrusion industry and their strategic initiatives for the product development
- The study covers a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented based on ingredient, type, and animal type. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments.
Who should buy this report?
- This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the global pet food extrusion market. The report will benefit: Every stakeholder involved in the pet food extrusion market.
- Managers within the pet food extrusion industry looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics about the global pet food extrusion market.
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers, and organizations looking for investments in trends of global pet food extrusion market.
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies.
Pet food extrusion equipment increases the consistency of pet food along with the shaping and scaling advantages, which helps satisfy the need for quality food items for pets. Increasing expenditure in pet food industry, technological advancement in pet food extrusion equipment, increasing consumer shift towards grain free and natural products, and increasing pet population is expected to increase pet food extrusion market concentration over the forecast period. For instance, pet food industry expenditure in United States increased from more than USD 45 billion in 2010 to more than USD 95 billion in 2019. However, stringent government rules and regulations regarding composition, high capital investment for extrusion equipment, and threat from counterfeit products are expected to be some key market challenges over the forecast period.
Based on ingredient, the global pet food extrusion market is categorized as animal derivatives, vegetable & fruits, grains & oilseeds, vitamins & minerals, and others. Increasing demand for high quality ingredients, rising demand for grain-free products, increasing popularity of insect based meals, and easy availability of raw materials are expected to increase global pet food extrusion market concentration over the coming years.
Animal Type Segment
Based on animal type, the global pet food extrusion market is categorized as dogs, cats, fish, and others. Other segment comprised of birds, reptiles, and rabbits. The cats and dogs dominated the global pet food extrusion market in 2019 and is expected to remain dominant over the forecast period. Increasing dog food sales over the past few years followed by rising adoption of dogs in developing as well as developed economies are expected to open new avenues for pet food extrusion market over the coming years.
Based on type, the global pet food extrusion market is categorized as complete diets and treats & other complementary products. Complete diets consist of dry expanded and semi moist. Treats & other complementary products include chews, snacks, and treats. Nutritionally complete, available in different sizes, shapes, and colors, and significant level of fresh meat is expected to drive complete diets segment over the forecast period
In terms of geography, North America accounted for majority of the market share in 2019 and is expected to continue its dominancy over the forecast period. Increasing pet acceptance followed by rising pet food expenditure in U.S. and Canada is expected to open new avenues for pet food extrusion market over the coming years. Increasing disposable income in U.,S. and Canada over the past few years followed by presence of large number of pet food companies are expected to add market growth.
Leading companies engaged in pet food extrusion market are Mars, American Extrusion International, Nestlé, Brabender, The J.M. Smucker Company, Doering Systems, Andritz, The Bonnot Company, Bühler, Lindquist Machine, Clextral, Coperion, Pavan Group, Baker Perkins, Diamond America, and Kahl Group. Key companies present in the market are adopting new product development, technological advancement, research & development, investment, merger & acquisition, and partnerships to form strategies in order to stay competitive in the industry and strengthen their distribution network in order to increase their customer base.