Mobility as a service (MaaS) is the integration of various types of transportation services provided into a single platform through the mobile application. A MaaS provider provides various options such as car, bike, or ride-sharing service, car or taxi rental service, or combination of any of these. In order to get real-time information about traffic or weather, MaaS providers work with data service providers. MaaS providers also work with payment gateway providers so that the customers can pay their transportation bills easily.
The global mobility as a service market size is anticipated to reach USD 248 billion by 2025. This can be attributed to the rising penetration of smartphones on 3G, 4G, and 5G networks, increasing the necessity of city traffic solutions, and growing investments in technology-based transportation solutions.
Key Segments of the Global Mobility as a Service Market
Service Overview, 2018-2025 (USD Billion)
- Self-driving car service
Vehicle Type Overview, 2018-2025 (USD Billion)
- Four Wheelers
- Three Wheelers
Regional Overview, 2018-2025 (USD Billion)
- North America
- The U.S.
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of APAC
- South America
- Rest of South America
- The Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of global mobility as a service market. Benchmark yourself against the rest of the market.
- Ensure you remain competitive as new innovations by existing key players boost the market.
What does the report include?
- The study on global mobility as a service market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities
- The study covers the competitive landscape of existing/prospective players in the mobility as a service industry and their strategic initiatives for the product development
- The study covers a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of type and application. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments.
Who should buy this report?
This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the global mobility as a service market. The report will benefit:
- Every stakeholder involved in developing and supporting mobility as service technologies and applications.
- Managers within financial institutions looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics pertaining to global mobility as a service market.
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers and financial organizations looking for mobility as a service funding trend in global mobility as a service market.
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies.
One of the major factors contributing to the growth of the market is the increasing penetration of connected cars around the world. It is expected that the total shipment of connected cars across the globe will reach up to 120 million units between 2018 and 2022. Major European countries such as UK, Germany, and France are expected to adopt more than 90% of connected cars. In terms of overall connected car penetration, the US, UK, and Germany are the leading markets. However, due to the increasing demand for new passenger cars, China will have the highest number of shipments in the coming years.
Additionally, shared mobility service is gaining traction in emerging as well as developed economies. Shared mobility services provide options to modify or cancel ride bookings immediately. Other benefits of shared mobility services are they eliminate the limited parking space issues and are less expensive as compared to other transportation modes. Many governments around the world are introducing shared mobility services in order to encourage reduce traffic congestion on roads.
On the basis of services, the market is categorized into ride-hailing, ride-sharing, self-driving car service, and others. Ride-hailing service dominated the overall mobility as a service market which occupied a 63.7% share in 2018 and is anticipated to maintain its position over the forecast period 2020 -2025.
Vehicle Type Segment
Four wheelers, three-wheelers, and others are the vehicle types considered in the global mobility as a service market study. In 2018, the four-wheeler vehicle type segment has the largest market share in the global market and it is also the fastest-growing vehicle type over the forecast period 2020 -2025.
On the geographical front, Asia Pacific dominated the global mobility as a service market in 2018 and Europe will be expected to grow faster in the given analysis period.
The Asia Pacific market is expected to have the largest share of around 39% in global mobility as a service (MaaS) market in 2018. The main reason behind adopting shared mobility is the increase in urbanization and dense traffic in cities in China and India. It is recorded that China’s urbanization has increased to around 55% in the last three decades. Furthermore, high internet and smartphone penetration are one of the major factors contributing to the growth of mobility as a service market in the region. In addition to this, major MaaS providers around the globe have already chosen the Asia Pacific for the deployment of MaaS. Another major growth factor considered is the presence of major MaaS operators like DiDi, Uber, and others in the Asia Pacific region.
The major players of global mobility as a service market are Uber Technologies, Inc., Ola Cabs, Shuttl, Splyt Technologies Ltd., Transit Systems Pty Ltd., Lyft, Inc., Didi Chuxing Technology Co., Grab, Whim, Citymapper, SkedGo Pty Ltd, Moovit Inc., Moovel Group, Splyt Technologies Ltd., Ubigo Innovation AB, etc. Constant developments and expansions of MaaS solutions across the globe by major industry players have created a competitive environment. For instance, the Indian ride-sharing company Ola Cabs is expected to increase its “Ola Bike” services by three times in India from 2020. Currently, Ola Bikes is available in 150 cities and towns across the country. With this, the company became the largest micro-mobility provider in India.