The global left atrial appendage closure devices market was valued at USD 755.1 million in 2020 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 23.7% during the forecast period. Factors driving the growth of the left atrial appendage closure devices market include growing occurrence of atrial fibrillation in elderly population and increasing government initiatives for technological development in these devices.
The left atrial appendage (LAA) is well recognized as a source for thromboembolism (TE) in valvular heart disease and in atrial fibrillation (AF). AF affects more than 2.5 million Americans and is thought to be responsible for 17% of all strokes (or 135,000 annually), which are primarily due to the formation and embolization of left atrial thrombus.
Regionally, North America accounted for the largest market share of the global left atrial appendage closure devices market attributable to major patient pool suffering from cardiac arrhythmias. Leading players of the global left atrial appendage closure devices market include Abbott, Boston Scientific, Articure, Johnson and Johnson, Occlutech, Lifetech Scientific, among others.
Key segments of the global left atrial appendage closure devices market
Product Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- Endocardial LAA closure devices
- Epicardial LAA closure devices
End Use 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- Ambulatory surgery centres
- Other end users
Regional Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Million)
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Asia Pacific
- South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
Reasons for the study
- Increasing prevalence of atrial fibrillation
- Strong product pipeline
- Increasing government initiatives
What does the report include?
- The study on the global left atrial appendage closure devices market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints and opportunities
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of product and end use. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should buy this report?
- The report on the global left atrial appendage closure devices market is suitable for all the players across the value chain including product manufacturing companies, suppliers/distributors, R&D labs, CROs, healthcare organizations, medical reimbursement and insurance providers
- Venture capitalists and investors looking for more information on the future outlook of the global left atrial appendage closure devices market
Consultants, analysts, researchers, and academicians looking for insights shaping the global left atrial appendage closure devices market
Atrial fibrillation is associated with a systemic hypercoagulable state. Increased plasma levels of thromboglobulin and platelet factor reveal enhanced platelet function. Thus, there will always be a rationale for the continued use of anticoagulation in AF, regardless of the method (suture excision, minimally invasive epicardial occlusion device, or transcatheter closure device) of LAA closure. Although warfarin alternatives such as dabigatran are available, the expectation would be to reduce AF strokes by one third (31% relative risk reduction), although the bleeding risk would be similar to warfarin. The importance of the LAA has been known for a half century, with multiple closure techniques used in time. Today, the opportunity for reliable closure exists. The simplest prospect for surgical closure is removal and over sew. Minimally invasive surgical techniques may lead to reliable closure devices for epicardial LAA occlusion. In conclusion, the field of percutaneous devices is promising, with safe and effective devices likely to be available in the very near future.
The global left atrial appendage closure devices market is categorized based on product and end use.
By product: The market is segmented into endocardial LAA closure devices and epicardial LAA closure devices. The endocardial LAA closure devices dominated the market in 2020, while the epicardial LAA closure devices are set to show promising growth by 2028.
By end use: The market is segmented into hospitals, ambulatory surgery centres and other end users. The ambulatory surgery centres was the largest market in 2020.
North America dominated the market for left atrial appendage closure devices market in 2020. The growing elderly population, especially the ones above 65 years of age are creating opportunities for companies selling left atrial appendage closure devices. Other factors fuelling the growth of this industry include up surging demand in developing markets due to better infrastructure, advanced new treatments, improved affordability owing to climbing per-capita GDP and a mounting dominance of lifestyle diseases such as obesity owed to urbanization. The left atrial appendage closure devices market has matured in developed regions such as U.S., Canada, Germany and Japan but still represents a substantial opportunity, in Asian region. There has been a wave of industry innovation continuing as various operating procedures have shifted to robotic platforms or less-invasive techniques. Meanwhile, diffusion in evolving markets still offers benefits, as local government policies are supporting higher healthcare spending. Left atrial appendage closure devices companies can benefit from rising affordability in these markets.