In 2017, the global chelating agents market size was valued at USD 4.08 billion. Growing application in pulp & paper production, industrial cleaning, household products, agrochemicals, textile industry, and water treatment is expected to drive the global chelating agents market demand over the projected period.
Global Chelating Agents Market Size, By Region, 2015-2025 (USD Billion)
Increase in the application of chelating agents for the removal of metal oxide, salt, and hard water scale has increased its penetration in the textile industry and the trend is expected to continue over the coming years. Moreover, the development of biodegradable organic compounds is expected to further propel the chelating agents market size over the projected period.
Aminopolycarboxylate accounted for more than 35% of the global chelating agents market share, both by volume and revenue, in 2017. They are extensively used in numerous industrial and domestic products, with the most important applications in agriculture, pulp & paper manufacturing, and industrial cleaners. Ability to prevent metal from interfering with detergent’s ability to remove stains and soils from clothing has increased its penetration in textile manufacturing over the past few years.
Growing pulp & paper industry is expected to offer a lucrative opportunity for chelating agent manufacturers over the coming years. World production of paper and paper products in 2017 was more than 400 million tons. Growing packaging industry coupled with the emergence of e-commerce industry is expected to open new avenues for chelating agents over the coming years. In 2017, global chelating agents market sales for pulp & paper application stood at USD 1.51 billion. Extensive application in the production of pulp & paper products is expected to propel the demand.
Global Chelating Agents Market Share, By Application, 2017 (%)
Over the past few years, the use of chelating agents such as dimercaprol, dimercaptosuccinic acid, dimercaptopropane sulfonate, penicillamine, ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA), deferoxamine, and deferasirox in the pharmaceutical industry has increased substantially. Growing adoption as a treatment for arsenic, lead, uranium, iron, mercury, and other forms of toxic metal poisoning is expected to increase market adoption over the coming years.
World agrochemicals market sales were more than USD 200 billion in 2017. Growing investment in agrochemicals coupled with government support to strengthen the agricultural industry in developing countries such as China, India, and Brazil is expected to increase demand for chelating agents. Increasing awareness regarding available new products followed by the development of bio-farming is expected to drive the global chelating agents market growth over the projected period.
North America accounted for more than 25% of the global chelating agents market demand in 2017. Recovering pulp & paper industry and increasing demand for specialty household & industrial cleaners is expected to augment the chelating agent market concentration over the projected period. North America pulp production was more than 30% of the world pulp production in 2017. Moreover, growing penetration of pulp & paper manufacturers in the U.S. and Canada over the past few years is expected to increase the chelating agent market reach over the projected period.
The global chelating agents market is competitive in nature as a large number of well-established manufacturers are present in this market. Prominent manufacturers are BASF SE, Cargill, Incorporated, Archer Daniels Midland Company, Nouryon, DowDuPont Inc., Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, Kemira, Tate & Lyle, Shandong IRO Chelating Chemical Co., Ltd., and Merck KGaA.
Manufacturers operating in global chelating agents industry are adopting portfolio optimization and capacity expansion strategies in order to strengthen their position in the competitive environment. For instance, in June 2018, BASF SE invested double-digit millions in its Germany production plant in order to optimize product portfolio and strengthen its value chain for chelating agents. Stringent government regulations on adoption of chelating agents have forced chemical manufacturers to focus on bio-based product development. For instance, in 2017, AkzoNobel, a Dutch company specialized in paints & coatings partnered with Itaconix, a UK based functional ingredients manufacturers, to develop bio-based chelating agents. Initiatives such as these are expected to augment the natural chelating agents market demand over the forecast period.
Key segments of the global chelating agents market
Product Overview, 2015-2025 (Kilo Tons) (USD Million)
- Sodium gluconate
- Aminopolycarboxylate (EDTA/DTPA/HEDTA)
Application Overview, 2015-2025 (Kilo Tons) (USD Million)
- Pulp & Paper
- Household & industrial cleaning
- Water treatment
- Chemical processing
- Consumer products
Regional Overview, 2015-2025 (Kilo Tons) (USD Million)
- North America
- Middle East & Africa
- Latin America
Reasons for the study
- The study assesses the dynamics and movement of the global chelating agents market across various geographies
- While studying the global chelating agents market, we observed that the demand for chelating agents is expected to be tremendous in developing countries for pulp & paper and water treatment applications
- The market is competitive and major players have their presence across the globe. The companies, as a strategic step planning to enter untapped market in the coming years
What does the report include?
- The study on the global chelating agents market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, and restraints
- The study covers qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented on the basis of product and application. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments
- The study includes the profiles of key players in the market with a significant global and/or regional presence
Who should you buy this report?
- The global chelating agents market study meets the needs for various parties including government and non-government associations, consultants, analysts, researchers and academicians
- The report is also suitable for companies that are currently operating in the market as well as those looking to integrate their operations from either component manufacturing or end products.
- Moreover, the study can also help new entrants take informed decisions about venturing into the market.