The global biochar market was valued at USD 30.60 million in 2020. Increasing consumption of organic foods and the growth of plant due to biochar ability of soil fertility has increased the demand for biochar globally. Additionally, the growing awareness of biochar benefits in soil amendment is further accelerating demand for the global market.
Biochar is present in soils all around the world as a result of historic soil management process and vegetation fires. It is an important tool which increase the cropland diversity and food security in those areas having depleted soils, inadequate water, scarce organic resources and chemical fertilizer suppliers. Further, it also advances water quality and quantity by increasing the retention rate of nutrients and agrochemicals in soils.
The global biochar market is comprised of both unorganized and organized manufacturer of biochar. Countries such as Brazil, China and Japan have large amount of production from unorganized manufacturer. These are mainly developed by villagers in association with research institutions. However, the number of organized players are expected to increase in coming years owing to rising demand for organic food.
Biochar Market Scope
|Forecast Unit||Value (USD)|
|Revenue forecast in 2028||USD 30.60 million|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 18% during 2021-2028|
|Segment Covered||Type, Material, End-user, Distribution Channel|
|Regions Covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, Middle East & Africa|
|Key Players Profiled||Biokol, Biomass Controls, LLC, Carbon Industries Pvt Ltd., Charcoal House, Anaerob Systems, Algae AquaCulture Technologies, CECEP Golden Mountain Agricultural Science And Technology, EarthSpring Biochar/Biochar Central, Energy Management Concept, 3R Environmental Technology Group and Renargi.|
Key Segments of the Global Biochar Market
Technology Overview, 2019-2028 (USD Million)
Application Overview 2019-2028 (USD Million)
Regional Overview, 2019-2028 (USD Million)
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
- Rest of South America
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global Biochar market.
- Biochar is widely used for various end uses in food and beverages, owing to their excellent properties and the market is expected to gain traction over the coming years
- With the growing personal care uses, there is a rise in the demand for Biochar which is further expected to have a positive impact on the overall market growth
What does the report include?
- The study on the global Biochar market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities
- The study covers the competitive landscape of existing/prospective players in the Biochar industry and their strategic initiatives for the product development
- The study covers a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented based on Technology and End Use. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments.
Who should buy this report?
- This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the global Biochar market. The report will benefit: Every stakeholder involved in the Biochar market.
- Managers within the Biochar industry looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics about the global Biochar market.
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers, and organizations looking for investments in trends of global Biochar market.
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies.
Pyrolysis technology held the major share of global biochar market in 2020 owing to high carbon content, high yield and stability of the soils. It is an effective and most efficient ways of producing high quality biochar. The process involves economic microorganism and enzymes for fermentation, without the emission of CO2 byproducts. Top biochar manufacturing companies such as Ensyn, Renargi, Battella, Empryo and Cool planet prefer pyrolysis process for the production of biochar gas. For instance, in February 2015, one of the Australian agency “The Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) rewarded Renagi with USD 2.5 million funding to design and construct biofuel production capacity with pyrolysis process in Perth.
The competitive landscape of global biochar market is highly fragmented as of 2017 with presence of both organized and unorganized producer of biofuels, biochar and many others. The market also involve huge number of global and regional players including Biokol, Biomass Controls, LLC, Carbon Industries Pvt Ltd., Charcoal House, Anaerob Systems, Algae AquaCulture Technologies, CECEP Golden Mountain Agricultural Science And Technology, EarthSpring Biochar/Biochar Central, Energy Management Concept, 3R Environmental Technology Group and Renargi
Agriculture segment dominated the global biochar market in 2020 by occupying more than 80% share. Biochar enhances fertilizer and water holding capacity of the soil, improves the soil’s biological productivity and provides accurate amount of nutrition to soil which help in the growth of the plant. Farmers located in Europe and North America region are the major consumers of biochar as these farmers are aware of its benefits. Further, these farmers use biochar for general farming of fruits and vegetables as it increase both the quality and quantity of their production.
However, gasification technology also witnessed the major rise in global biochar market in forecast period. Due to increasing demand for electricity in distributed energy systems. Gasification is refer as autotherm process and it is self-sufficient in regards to energy balance and it is one of the useful components of syngas.
Europe and North America have witnessed a significant rise in the number of producers, which is further expected to play a vital role in driving the global biochar market in coming future. However, lack of awareness of long-term advantages regarding waste management and its benefits among the farming community has restricted its growth in Middle East and Asia Pacific region.
Nevertheless, the government are taking initiatives in creating awareness for biofuel, biomass and biochar through waste management courses and funding. In April 2018, India held the Eight Regional 3R Forum. The conference was organized by the government of India, United Nation Center for Sustainable Development, and government of Japan. The conference put more emphasis on the significant and subsequent adoption of 3R waste management i.e. recycle, reuse and reduce. They also focused on sustainable urban development, advantages of biochar.