The global automotive engineering services outsourcing market revenue is projected to reach close to USD 555.7 billion by 2028. In order to drive the market, Engineering Service Providers (ESPs) are expected to expand their technological expertise to deliver R&D and Service creativity in their services for vehicle positioning, connected vehicles, and guidance systems. In addition, it is expected that the sudden change in tastes of OEMs for digitised solutions over mechanical and core assistance would lead to the overall revenue of the sector.
The automotive industry's growing focus on the development of vehicles with five main developments, including Electrified, Automated, Sharing, Linked, and Yearly Updated ('EASCY'), is expected to provide ESO market players with opportunities. Engineering support services are focused on providing Services that support these developments in order to provide their consumers with a competitive advantage. For example, Altran announced the introduction of its fronthaul platform that is deployed on Intel Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) which will assist network equipment which manufacturers of wireless carriers to implement large-scale 5 G fronthaul aggregation. Over the last two decades, de-verticalization, which is the method of segregating resources and operations from a heavily integrated industry, has gained momentum. OEMs transfer their concept and component Serviceion components to the ESPs in the event of de-verticalization.
Key Segments of the Global Automotive Engineering Services Outsourcing Market
Application Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Billion)
- Autonomous Driving/ADAS
- Body & Chassis
- Powertrain and After-treatment
- Infotainment & Connectivity
Service Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Billion)
- System Integration
Location Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Billion)
Regional Overview, 2018-2028 (USD Billion)
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacifia
Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
- Rest of South America
Reasons for the study
- The purpose of the study is to give an exhaustive outlook of the global automotive engineering services outsourcing market.
- Automotive engineering services outsourcing is widely used Autonomous Driving/ADAS, Body & Chassis owing to their excellent properties and the market is expected to gain traction over the coming years
- With the growing advancements, there is a rise in the demand for powertrain and after-treatment services outsourcing which is further expected to have a positive impact on the overall market growth
What does the report include?
- The study on the global automotive engineering services outsourcing market includes qualitative factors such as drivers, restraints, and opportunities
- The study covers the competitive landscape of existing/prospective players in the automotive engineering services outsourcing industry and their strategic initiatives for the Service development
- The study covers a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the market segmented based on Application and Service and Location. Moreover, the study provides similar information for the key geographies.
- Actual market sizes and forecasts have been provided for all the above-mentioned segments.
Who should buy this report?
- This study is suitable for industry participants and stakeholders in the global automotive engineering services outsourcing market. The report will benefit: Every stakeholder involved in the automotive engineering services outsourcing market.
- Managers within the automotive engineering services outsourcing industry looking to publish recent and forecasted statistics about the global automotive engineering services outsourcing market.
- Government organizations, regulatory authorities, policymakers, and organizations looking for investments in trends of global automotive engineering services outsourcing market.
- Analysts, researchers, educators, strategy managers, and academic institutions looking for insights into the market to determine future strategies.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
This phenomenon has largely benefited the automotive services outsourcing sector as it has helped to build a more global supply base for recently built assembly plants , resulting in the regional growth of the ESO firms. In addition, modular outsourcing has also gained popularity as automakers demand uniform interfaces built into their cars of self-contained operating modules.
In addition to the sourcing of facilities for simplified car components, the introduction of modular structures has made it easier for automotive OEMs to outsource complex self-contained modules. However, owing to the complexities of engine architecture, powertrain architecture, and transmission systems, some OEMs prioritise the in-house manufacture of their end goods at their key centres or captive destinations instead of procuring services from ESPs.
In reality, the worries over the exposure of sophisticated vehicle designs and intellectual property rights have prompted OEMs to set up their own production units in off-shore locations. It is expected that the transition of business models in which the suppliers are now producing the commodity in-house would be a roadblock to the otherwise growing industry.
Outsourcing helps enterprises gain product production convergence with corresponding tasks, such as engineering and warranty administration. For example, enterprises that incorporate their warranty mechanism with the engineering design function will obtain timely input from their clients without disrupting revenue on design failures, problem solving, and development, which in turn decreases warranty costs.
Based on the application, the market is segmented into autonomous driving/ADAS, body & chassis, powertrain and after-treatment, infotainment & connectivity, and others. The powertrain and after-treatment application lead the market growth in 2019 and it is anticipated to hold its CAGR during the forecast years. In consideration of the fuel economy and the elimination of carbon emissions, the fundamental developments taking place in the automotive industry, especially in internal combustion (IC) engines, include automotive OEMs opting for improved green powertrain technology, including electrification of powertrains. The significant investments made by OEMs in powertrain technology are expected in the coming years to lead to the growth of the market.
In terms of the location segment, the market is segmented into on-shore and off-shore. In 2019, the on-shore segment accumulated the major share and is expected to continue the trend over the forecast years. Although on-shore outsourcing applies to the supply of facilities under the legal limits of OEMs, off-shore outsourcing specifies the outsourcing assistance to customers located in overseas locations. The highest revenue share in 2019 was held by the on-shore group. As the automotive ESO suppliers are dependent on the OEMs in the growing economies, especially for design, prototyping, and other types of specialised services, it is anticipated to maintain its leading role in the global market.
The Asia Pacific region dominated the overall market share with a CAGR of more than 28% in 2019 and it is projected to keep its position during the forecast years 2018-2028. Big automotive OEMs are outsourcing production and associated operations to these destinations due to the availability of labor incentive and cost-effective facilities in countries such as the Philippines, China and India. Consequently, ESO automotive suppliers are relocating their bases in the Asia Pacific region. Japan has emerged as one of the major producers of vehicles with growth potential for APAC's ESPs. Japan's government plans to boost sales of next-generation cars by 50-70% by 2030.
South America region is forecasted to have a rising demand due to rising energy consumption in growing economies like Brazil and Argentina. This development is due to OEMs partnering with the government of South America to build electric and hybrid vehicles originating in Brazil, Colombia and Argentina. In addition, it is projected that growing government expenditure allocations to develop transport networks throughout the region would lead to demand growth over the forecast period.
The major players of the global automotive engineering services outsourcing market are Alten GmbH; Altran Technologies S.A.; HORIBA, Ltd.; Bertrandt; and AVL List GmbH. Moreover, the market comprises several other prominent players in the automotive engineering services outsourcing market as EDAG ENGINEERING GMBH, IAV GMBH, FEV Group, MBTECH GROUP GMBH, and KISTLER INSTRUMENTE AG. The automotive engineering services outsourcing market consists of top, medium level and a number of domestic players in the global market. In addition to this, the well-established players in the industry have made various strategies and research & developments to compete with other players in the regional and global market.